Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

A NEW GENERATION OF PRIVACY PROTECTION

Breadcrumbs Solutions is the first comprehensive proactive online privacy protection company. Developing new generation privacy solutions built to deal with the new generation online privacy threats.

Breadcrumbs Solutions was founded to answer and overcome current solutions shortcomings. All of the current privacy solutions have been practically passive, in that they try to hide your data, a task that has become futile and impractical since tracking technologies have evolved rapidly in recent years.

Our mission statement is to allow individuals to control and protect their privacy and personal details over the Internet, preventing commercial companies from collecting, analyzing and selling these details without the individual’s’ knowledge and consent, basically we prevent users’ online tracking and profiling.
Read more

Last edited:

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
I am not sure what the heck is going on. I downloaded Breadcrumbs from CNET with my Chrome browser. As soon as I click to open the package, Firefox starts up. When I try to download it with Firefox, and then designate it as an add-on thereto, I get a message stating that Firefox 4.0.1 is not compatible. What gives?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
The program was a beta version.

System Requirements:

Windows XP, Vista and 7.
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 or above. (Breadcrumbs installer will alert you in case .NET Framework installation is needed)

Supported Web Browsers:

Internet Explorer 7 or above. (including IE9)
Firefox 3.6 or above. (including FF4)
Google Chrome.

Current Version:

1.1.3.1 (Beta, release date: May, 24)

Link

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
jamescv7 said:
The program was a beta version.

System Requirements:

Windows XP, Vista and 7.
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 or above. (Breadcrumbs installer will alert you in case .NET Framework installation is needed)

Supported Web Browsers:

Internet Explorer 7 or above. (including IE9)
Firefox 3.6 or above. (including FF4)
Google Chrome.

Current Version:

1.1.3.1 (Beta, release date: May, 24)

Link
One big improvement for this beta release is the fact that now Breadcrumbs supports 64bits OS.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
IE has a "Do not track" feature but it has some drawbacks .... One is that it's not automatically turned on, and another is that user need to create or find their own lists of sites they want to block...
Until we (aka. paranoid users) will manage to have a working and solid "Do not track" options build into our browsers, Breadcrumbs seems a good solution ...And even if it's not perfect it’s a step forward.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Un-installed, While its running in background its using 50 - 60K of memory that's just ridiculous, Hopefully they improve on that in the final as this is a beta.

Farewell Breadcrumbs.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Yes, this does use quite a bit of RAM. :(

Some things I've noticed so far:

This will not work if you've sandboxed your browser with Sandboxie. I'm not that interested in giving Breadcrumbs resource access because I don't think it's anything I'll use in the long run.

If you're using AdBlock Plus with the EasyPrivacy filter subscription, it's not going to find anything to block. At least I've spent the morning going to various abundant ad and tracker websites and I've yet to see anything in the watchers analytic panel. It is working though, because if I disable ABP, I see various trackers.

Its blocker is a bit crude. Blocking the BuzzFeed 'watcher' across all domains will block access to buzzfeed.com. Same for similar 'watchers' such as twitter and facebook. In other words, it lists links to some sites as a 'watcher'. If you just assume everything in the watcher list is a tracker, you're in for a surprise as not only are some links in the list, but also CDN servers. If you block these, you'll wonder why you're unable to view some site content. The application doesn't give you any info on these watchers either, so you can't make an informed decision. For example, clicking the link to give you more data on GoogleAnalytics comes up as a failed search on the Breadcrumbs site. They don't have any info on GoogleAnalytics? :rolleyes:

It does generate some interesting data about the 'watchers' you encounter or block. Numbers such as the percentage of websites you've visited that contain a particular watcher.

So for me, really the only thing this application has going for it as far as my situation goes, is this 'Bogus Identity' thing. I've yet to see that do anything yet, but that could be because it's supposed to do its thing when you aren't browsing, and I've been browsing like a madman while seeing how the tracker blocking works. Or perhaps it it parses your browsing history to decide what sort of sites you visit regularly, and since Sandboxie auto-deletes my browser data, there is nothing in my history for it to look at.

I'm also a bit on the fence whether or not this bogus identity is even a sound concept.

Anyway, I think I'll play with it some more.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
I just flushed this one.

I left my browser open all last night to see what my 'bogus identity' got up to while I was sleeping. It didn't do a single thing! :s

So while I do think the stats on the trackers are pretty interesting, as I mentioned in my previous post, I normally block all of these with AdBlock Plus and the EasyPrivacy filter subscription, so there is really nothing to track. It did show me a nice plummeting graph from my testing yesterday, to today when I have ABP re-enabled. (Somewhere between 500-600 trackers yesterday, to zero today ;) )

So since my bogus identity obviously needs some requirements that I apparently do not meet, (There's obviously more to it than just not browsing...) even though I have plenty of RAM, I can't justify the resource overhead of running this thing.

Very interesting idea though. Hopefully they tighten things up before this goes gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.