App Review [Britec09] Fight Back Against Ransomware (McAfee Ransomware Interceptor Review)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016

McAfee did a good job in intercepting most ransomwares. It prevented them from encrypting the files although ransomware processes were running.

However, it failed against MBR-encrypting RWs like petya.

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
I read some comments in their support community
1/ They said "The tool currently supports only exe / scr / com files" and someone said it was ineffective against js ransomwares
2/ Bugs
3/ False postives with chrome and firefox

Actually I knew that the real ransomware is an exe. Js is just to download the real ransomware

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Actually I knew that the real ransomware is an exe. Js is just to download the real ransomware
You have not read all my analysis of scripts :(
- script files can be .js, jse, .vbs, .vbe, .wsf
- Some script-based files download obfuscated files and deobfuscate them as dll and run them by rundll, file name, entry point, parameter, etc (see the last locky versions, from months)
- Other script-based files don't need to download files, because the content is hard coded in variables, and then put on real files (or fileless / loaded in some memory process)

Last edited:

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
You have not read all my analysis of scripts :(
- script files can be .js, jse, .vbs, .vbe, .wsf
- Some script download obfuscated files and deobfuscate them as dll and run them (see the last locky versions, from monthes)
- Other scripts doesn't need to download files, because the content is hard coded in variables, and then put on files (or fileless : loaded in some memory process)

Ok ( i knew about vbs actually) but the script is not the real ransomware right ? I don't get the point three sorry

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
How point 3 of your post works ?
Some scripts (that are like text in files), are obfuscated to make them hard to be understood, and have some vars with the obfuscated content of future files (often encoded strings).
When the script is run, it deobfusctates itself and also the content data that will be used to create real files (payload, etc). At some point, it run the file(s).

The "fileless":
An example of what I have seen (the malware part is fileless):
A script-based file with several vars that are encoded strings (in several parts).
=> one var is the encoded content of a dll :
=> once decoded, the script saves the file with a false extension : .vbs.bin
=> the script registers this dll
=> it then creates an object based on this dll : ActiveX object
=> then the script is able to call Windows API using this object.
=> allocates memory
=> copy there the loader part once decoded (the "RunPE shellcode") :
=> allocates memory
=> copy there the parts of the malware to be injected once decoded (hard-coded on an array of encoded strings),
=> CallWindowProcW : the loader is called and it injects the malware on the host process (svchost.exe or msbuild.exe if .NET available)​

Last edited:

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Wow thank you I really appreciate
An example here :)
3-2) Constant objects :

'=-=-=-=-= CONSTO =-=-=-=
dcom_data = .....
loader_data = .....
dim file_data(10)
file_data (0) = ....
file_data (1) = ....
file_data (9) = ....

file_size = 35328

Several Base64 encoded (very long) Strings are used.

We will see later that :

dcom_data => dll content (used to allow API calls)
loader_data => encoded loader data used
file_data => array of encoded strings : malware parts

loader_data and file_data will be decoded and used for injection :D
https://malwaretips.com/threads/pay...ls-file-less-payload-injection-updated.64722/

Last edited:

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
As DardiM has nicely pointed out a major mechanism of action for recent ransomware has been the dropping and forced running of a payload dll. So it's not so much that this product is ineffective against JScript based ransomware, but against ALL ransomware that operate in this way, including exe files.

When doing ransomware testing it is really important to choose the ransomware run in the test by mechanism and not by name as otherwise the results will be questionable.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.