Not open for further replies.

SpartacusSystem

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 6, 2015

How to Disable Cortana in Windows 10 Anniversary Update

If you are like me and have no use for Cortana, you going to want to disable it completely. There are two ways to disable Cortana.

1. Registry Tweak and 2. Group Policy Editor. If you have Windows 10 Home, you are going to need to use the registry tweak, if you are using Windows 10 or above, you can use group policy (gpedit.msc). Now you may be saying to yourself is there not a toggle switch to turn this feature on or off? There used to be this feature, but Microsoft have removed it. I guess they really want you to use Cortana.

Disable Cortana via the Registry

1. Open registry editor by typing regedit in run box
2. Now navigate to this location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search.
3.Don’t see a Windows Search folder? just right click Windows folder and select New / Key. Now name it Windows Search.
4. Now select Windows Search folder and Right click it and select New / DWORD (32-bit) Value.
Name that value AllowCortana. set the value to 0.
5. Log off and log back on and Cortana will be disabled.

Disable Cortana via Group Policy

1. Open group policy editor by pressing Windows key + R and type gpedit.msc and pressing Enter.

2. Navigate to this location in group policy editor. Computer Configuration / Administrative Templates / Windows Components /Search.

On the right pane find Allow Cortana setting double click it and set it to disable. You can disable the other Cortana feature below if you wish.

That's it

Need help with any computer problems? join my forum
http://www.briteccomputers.co.uk/forum

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.