Not open for further replies.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Chinese tech site XFastest (via VR-Zone) claims to have got its hands on the specifications of Intel's upcoming Broadwell-E HEDT (high end desktop) processors. There will be four processors in the lineup, says the site, with the flagship of the range known as the Core i7-6950X with 10 physical CPU cores and support for 20 threads.

d7bb6f8b-2cf1-488d-9801-3e7cf4fde615.jpg

Intel's Core i7-6950X is a 3.0GHz processor but offers users 'eXtreme' overclockability thanks to its unlocked multiplier and voltages. This high-end socket LGA2011-v3, X99 chipset, processor comes with 25MB of L3 cache, according to the source. Users of current systems with X99 Express motherboards should be able to use the upcoming Broadwell-E chips, following a trivial BIOS update procedure.

The full lineup of Intel Broadwell-E processors, using socket LGA2011-v3, is said to be as follows:
  • Intel Core i7-6950X: 10 cores, 20 threads, 25MB L3 cache, 3.0GHz
  • Intel Core i7-6900K: 8 cores, 16 threads, 20MB L3 cache, 3.3GHz
  • Intel Core i7-6850K: 6 cores, 12 threads, 15MB L3 cache, 3.6GHz
  • Intel Core i7-6800K: 6 cores, 12 threads, 15MB L3 cache, 3.4GHz
You can see that only the flagship carries the 'X' suffix. The lower echelon processors are 'K' suffixed meaning that they have unlocked multipliers but you won't have such flexibility with voltages with these chips.

The 10 and 8 core processors have lower default clock speeds compared to the 6 core Broadwell-E chips revealed by this 'leak'. Upcoming Boradwell-E processors will all offer a Turbo burst clock speed but that isn't known at this time. With such high core/thread counts these chips will be particularly suited to multi-threaded processing tasks but for less well threaded tasks/applications could fall behind in performance to the likes of the Intel Core i7-6700K (Skylake), clocked at 4GHz with 4.2GHz Turbo Boost.

Market pricing and release dates for the Broadwell-E processor range are not known.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Wow, the fun I could have with 20 threads... :D What a beast of a processor..
With any of these 4 CPUs you can do everything. The speed of doing it matters :D
Kidding, I would be satisfied with i5 6600K for example :cool:

Reactions: scot
I

illumination

With any of these 4 CPUs you can do everything. The speed of doing it matters :D
Kidding, I would be satisfied with i5 6600K for example :cool:
I have 4 cores with 8 threads now, and have yet to push this beast to its max potential, but could see the application of 20 threads being very handy with like say, running multiple VM's at once ect.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I have 4 cores with 8 threads now, and have yet to push this beast to its max potential, but could see the application of 20 threads being very handy with like say, running multiple VM's at once ect.
I've noticed at my friends computer that you can hardly push CPU to it's max potential with virtual machines testing. He has i3 4370 and running 3 sometimes 4 VM at the same time and CPU is hardly beyond 60-70% with all 4 threads. Intel is dominating it in this instruction set system. Noticeable difference was seen when he bought SSD and added 8 more GBs of RAM.

H

hjlbx

Add SSD and RAM. Much improved speed and application stability. Processor is important, of course, but SSD is like night-and-day compared to HDD.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Now that's what we call an 'overkill' processor, why? Because your expectation to speed up is totally outrageous. ;) :p

Of course its illogical to have that when your RAM is mediocre + HDD. ;)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Umbra: Anything which are beyond the standard requirements are totally a failure, one is an example already. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.