brod's free security setup (July 2017 Update)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
heh...it's pretty much my laptop's setup, BD Free, MB3 Free, uBlock Origin, CCleaner.

I think SmartScreen is part of Windows Defender, which gets disabled with Bitdefender. It doesn't kick in with the test page, SmartScreen Demo

ZAM free is nice; I've used it since beta. It showed how SecureAplus and herdProtect were actually worse, in spite of more engines (5v12v68).
On-Demand you can pull no punches--especially since you're likely running them because you suspect an issue; I like Emsisoft Emergency Kit and AdwCleaner.

MyDefrag for platter drives, hands down, especially if you want to script your own defrag algorithms.

If your laptop is typically stationary and you have an additional drive, Windows File History is really, really nice.

WoT isn't back on Firefox yet (I use it on Chrome) but a "traffic light" thing may be useful. I've found WoT to be better at flagging fake sites than the AV companies' extensions.

brod56

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
besides the suggestions made already,

+1

If you are willing to get your hands dirty, you could install hard_configurator and do a few easy system tweaks to improve your security, such as disabling wscript, for instance.

Can you explain a bit better what to install and to do then?

heh...it's pretty much my laptop's setup, BD Free, MB3 Free, uBlock Origin, CCleaner.

I think SmartScreen is part of Windows Defender, which gets disabled with Bitdefender. It doesn't kick in with the test page, SmartScreen Demo

ZAM free is nice; I've used it since beta. It showed how SecureAplus and herdProtect were actually worse, in spite of more engines (5v12v68).
On-Demand you can pull no punches--especially since you're likely running them because you suspect an issue; I like Emsisoft Emergency Kit and AdwCleaner.

MyDefrag for platter drives, hands down, especially if you want to script your own defrag algorithms.

If your laptop is typically stationary and you have an additional drive, Windows File History is really, really nice.

WoT isn't back on Firefox yet (I use it on Chrome) but a "traffic light" thing may be useful. I've found WoT to be better at flagging fake sites than the AV companies' extensions.

Thanks for your suggestions. I already tried Wot some time ago, although I found it to be somehow unnecessary as I already use the fantastic blocker that is ublock.
I will try MyDegraf then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Deleted member 2913

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Can you explain a bit better what to install and to do then?
well, here is the thread about it, with the download link
Hard_Configurator - Windows Hardening Configurator
you paste the folder inside your windows folder, and then you click on the exe file, and choose what you want to enable. there are good explanations that come along with it.
basically, the hard-core options are on the left, and the easy stuff is on the right.

The single most important tweak is to disable win script host, because scripts are usually the weak point of any AV.

brod56

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
well, here is the thread about it, with the download link
Hard_Configurator - Windows Hardening Configurator
you paste the folder inside your windows folder, and then you click on the exe file, and choose what you want to enable. there are good explanations that come along with it.
basically, the hard-core options are on the left, and the easy stuff is on the right.

The single most important tweak is to disable win script host, because scripts are usually the weak point of any AV.

OK I got it. Probably it isn't a big deal, because I usually check suspicious files with virus total before running, but every layer of protection is worth it :)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
OK I got it. Probably it isn't a big deal, because I usually check suspicious files with virus total before running, but every layer of protection is worth it :)
if you check VT, you probably will never get infected anyways, but let's just say, for the sake of argument, that you are tired or distracted, and you have downloaded what you think is a pic or PDF file, or you received the file by email. You forget to check the file extension before you click on it. If wscript and powershell is disabled, your chances of survival are much higher.

Last edited:

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Pretty good config.

Your top priority is to create a backup image of your system, so that you can restore it to the exact state, as it was when you created the backup image (e.g. in case of a malware infection).

Here are some recommended solutions:
OR
OR

Other than that,. I guess your config is okay.

Thanks for sharing it with us! :p

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Windows SmartScreen is independent of Windows Defender. The demo site would, I assume, trigger for the browser-based version in Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge.

@brod56 Is your system hardware fairly dated to run UAC as Do Not Dim?
From my understanding, the Secure Desktop protects UAC from being manipulated by malware, hence the dimmed protected screen.

brod56

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Windows SmartScreen is independent of Windows Defender. The demo site would, I assume, trigger for the browser-based version in Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge.

@brod56 Is your system hardware fairly dated to run UAC as Do Not Dim?
From my understanding, the Secure Desktop protects UAC from being manipulated by malware, hence the dimmed protected screen.

Yes, the computer is a bit dated (2012). I noticed it takes around 2/3 seconds to dim the desktop though the laptop is running relatively well.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Ahhh! So it's useless, then, if one doesn't use IE or Edge (I do not).

Yes, the computer is a bit dated (2012). I noticed it takes around 2/3 seconds to dim the desktop though the laptop is running relatively well.
That can't be right; mine is a 2011 build (2012 video card) and UAC dim is jarringly instant.

I would look at system and video drivers and file integrity.

I just discovered SUMo & DUMo...freaking awesome software for update checks.

D

Deleted member 2913

Good & light config...;) As others have suggested, Zemana Antimalware Portable (ondemand scanner) addition would be good...;)

Reactions: brod56

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Consider an additional on demand scanner(s) as already suggested.
Definitely consider some type of data and system backup solution.
Thanks for sharing your config :)

Nheo_Linkin

Level 1
Verified
Feb 19, 2017
If Bitdefender Free were still the old version, your setup could be nearly like me. But when they released the new version for windows 10 compatibility, I was a bit upset.
Althought it's still a light-weight product but not as light as the old version. Beside that it makes my windows boot time and some app a bit slower expecially web browser.
Do you have any problem like me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.