Not open for further replies.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Slimbrowser (Light), Opera (Fast) and Firefox (Add ons) are my favorites. :cool:

I also like K-meleon (Simple) , Seamonkey (Smooth), and Slimboat (Fast). :D

I don't like Chrome (Ugly + no search engine) or Comodo Dragon (Obtrusive) :mad:

My Favorite Firefox Add Ons,
+BlueHell Firewall
+Flagfox
+Ghostery
+Low Quality Flash
+Memory Fox
+NoScript
+Qualys Browser Check
+Rain Alarm
+Text to Voice
+The Addon Bar
+Vacuum Places
+WOT

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
I use Slimboat, Avant, GreenBrowser - and think about Opera portable, are good this one? ..

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
  • We've used Firefox consistently. It has been the browser of choice on our Windows 7 SP1, and our family has returned to it time and again.:) Except for a possibly isolated tendency in which the browser freezes when used on Windows 8.1 & displays "Firefox is not responding" above the navigation bar, :confused: :mad:while we wait, and yet I still consider this Gecko engine based, Mozilla, open sourced browser, an excellent choice ;) even though I've since graduated to utilizing two x64 bit portable version browsers, Cyberfox & Palemoon, :cool: when our Fox fails to perform on Windows 8.1!:rolleyes:
  • Chrome had usurped the Fox King of our internet forest for the default throne (on Windows 8.1) for most of 2014, that is until the latest stable versions of Chrome no longer worked with Sandboxie.:(
  • Opera Next has performed well in my experience, if only temporarily, while I've installed it under Shadow Mode. For all those wondering, whenever Shadow Defender's Shadow Mode is exited, all system changes revert back to their original state thus Opera Next disappears!!:)
Preferred add-ons (extensions):
  1. NoScript. Blocks java scripts (and possible attacks),:p Once it's set to allow trusted sites, essentially white listing them, it's a safer online experience.
  2. ADBLOCK EDGE. A fork of Adblock, we set four subscriptions. 1) Easylist (blocks adverts) 2) EasyPrivacy (blocks tracking) 3) Fanboy's Annoyance List. (Social content & pop-ups, & includes Fanboy's Social Blocking List) updated daily.
  3. LastPass secures and encrypts passwords (some I'll never know) which "safely" removes a major worry from our lives!:D
  4. Self-Desructing-Cookies. Get rid of the cookies, while removing one method of tracking!:)
  5. DoNotTrackMe. Encrypts ISP traffic, and prevents your traffic being traced.
Chrome/Opera (WebKit engine/Blink rendering) alternatives:
  1. ScriptBlock a straight forward NoScript alternative.;)
  2. ublock or Adguard, both excellent adblockers!:D
  3. Zenmate. Works like DNTM, but using this extension I appear to be in NY rather than Turkey!:p:D (*To all hackers who might read this: I actually am in NY & Turkey!!:p).
I use Slimboat, Avant, GreenBrowser - and think about Opera portable, are good this one? ..
@Prorootect , I'd tried Opera portable. Although it didn't work well for me, (again) I blame my Windows 8.1 which has always been buggy!:mad::rolleyes: ;) Softpedia rates it 5 stars, users 4.3, and I'm certain it would work well (at least better..) for you.:) http://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-SOFTWARE/Internet/Browsers/Opera-Portable.shtml

Edit:
Cats 4 owners,
Downloaded Opera v12.17 portable from your Softpedia link .. and very disappointed, because no possibility to make home page other than Speed Dial of Opera. Unbelievable.
Import IE favorites is easy, but how to put the Favorites button on the page, it's possible you think? ..
@Prorootect I am sorry Opera let you down.:oops: To replace the missing favorites button I'd create a "Favorites" folder which placed on the bookmarks bar serves the purpose of a favorites button.;) My view of Opera v12.17 portable is that it is not current, though many prefer Presto over WebKit. My hope is that soon, rather than later, Opera's portable version (as well as Chrome's) shall deliver as well as their promises claim.o_O :cool:

Last edited:

Tr.H.D

Level 1
Verified
Sep 28, 2014
What do you mean
Chrome (Ugly + no search engine)
? o_O
I think Chrome has the most simple and clearest UI in those browsers. Besides that Opera also looks very nice.
For Opera, on my system, after using for a while, it always takes time to release RAM usage it used. Opera also does not allow me to add other search engines as default (Duckduckgo, StartPage..). :(
About add-ons, absolutely the champion is Firefox! :D

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
What do you mean ? o_O
I think Chrome has the most simple and clearest UI in those browsers. Besides that Opera also looks very nice.
For Opera, on my system, after using for a while, it always takes time to release RAM usage it used. Opera also does not allow me to add other search engines as default (Duckduckgo, StartPage..). :(
About add-ons, absolutely the champion is Firefox! :D

Ugly might be the wrong word... rather too minimal and plain for me.

Opera, the new one I cannot install, error opening the file. I use the version 12 + Yahoo search engine. :)

Reactions: Kent

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Cats 4 owners,
Downloaded Opera v12.17 portable from your Softpedia link .. and very disappointed, because no possibility to make home page other than Speed Dial of Opera. Unbelievable.
Import IE favorites is easy, but how to put the Favorites button on the page, it's possible you think? ..

JakeXPMan,
With the start or stop of the Avant engine (I use Avant Chrome edition only) - I see in my task manager more processes which I did not want, like firefox and another, which then auto-delete quickly - but why they starts? Maybe .. would be wise to remove these exe I do not want to use - in the folder of Avant browser?

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Chrome has no search engine? o_O The Omnibar is the Search / Address Bar in one. I'm not 100% sure, but Google Chrome comes with a range of Search Engines; Google, Yahoo, Bing, Ask and more as you visit sites which is listed under 'Other search engines', and can even add your own.

upload_2014-10-22_20-11-11.png

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Uh oh! NEVER more download of Opera (portable) here!

First, I see (thanks to CCleaner!) that Opera portable has made some Registry keys (in HKCR, eg. HKCR\Applications\Opera.exe ) ..
Then all my pictures in My Pictures folder, are all of the 'Type: Opera Image' .. no more 'Type: JPEG image', or .GIF image etc ..

So I have removed Opera installer and Opera folder from my computer .. but no change, pity .. all my images are Type: Opera image!
Then I has use the System Restore - with Restore Point, this has worked for me.

Now, no more 'Type: Opera image', hopefully.

NEVER more download of Opera on my PC. I promise you.

Last edited:

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
JakeXPMan,
With the start or stop of the Avant engine (I use Avant Chrome edition only) - I see in my task manager more processes which I did not want, like firefox and another, which then auto-delete quickly - but why they starts? Maybe .. would be wise to remove these exe I do not want to use - in the folder of Avant browser?

No need to remove the .exe's, they start because they're needed.

The .exe running processes for "Webkit Engine/Chrome" are supposed to be seperate compared to Firefox browser. Chrome runs their .exe processes that way to avoid conflicts, I think? ... You'll notice each process has low memory, while Firefox can be at 220,000K's on one, and plug-in container runs the add ons on another .exe

I hope I'm correct and making sense here :)

Tani

Level 9
Verified
Nov 25, 2014
Chrome: Gives much more workspace than other browsers, simpler, lighter (might not be on slower computers, can't say), builtin flash player, if you're fond of addons it has pretty every useful one, builtin google search engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.