Browser Tests Show Microsoft Edge Is More Secure than Google Chrome and Firefox

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Microsoft has been working hard on making Edge a more advanced browser, and while the number of improvements might not be too impressive at first, the under-the-hood tweaks seem to be pretty effective.

This is the result of a new research conducted by NSS Labs, who tried to determine the most secure browser on the market when it comes to socially engineered malware (SEM) and phishing attacks. The organization tested three different browsers, namely Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Edge, and it turns out that the default Windows 10 browser is actually the most secure.

NSS Labs said that its test comprised 220,918 cases, out of which 5,224 were unique suspicious samples and 304 qualified for the test.

Microsoft Edge performance
Microsoft Edge managed to block no less than 99 percent of the samples thanks to SmartScreen URL filtering and Application Reputation (App Rep), while Google Chrome blocked 85.8 percent, also thanks to technologies that were specifically integrated with this purpose in mind, such as URL filtering and Download Protection. Mozilla Firefox blocked only 78.3 percent of the samples.

Furthermore, Microsoft Edge was the fastest to block new SEM, the study shows. It needed less than 10 minutes to effectively protect systems of malware, while Google Chrome required an average of two hours and 39 minutes to do the same thing. Mozilla Firefox blocked malware in approximately three hours and 45 minutes.

As far as zero-hour protection is concerned, Microsoft Edge was once again the most effective, reaching a 98.7 percent protection rate for new malware. Google Chrome was pretty close with 92.8 percent, while Firefox was third with 78.3 percent.

In the end, it turns out that Microsoft Edge is actually a pretty advanced browser in terms of security and while it has a hard time getting closer to rivals Google Chrome and Firefox in terms of market share, tests like these show that it’s really worth a chance. In case you’re wondering, NSS Labs says the test was fully independent, and no compensation was received to run it.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Wow. But not supported by SBIE and ublock origin.

And its in built adblocker is useless.

I don't like Adblock
Well, the Edge uses Appcontainer which is supposed to be more secure that what SBIE can do. As for Ublock Origin, they are already making plans for it.
Microsoft Edge to get uBlock Origin, Ghostery, and Turn Off the Light extensions soon - MSPoweruser

I'm a Chrome user, but I also use Edge and I think it's a great browser, fast, very smooth and secure. Thanks for the share Exterminator
I like alternating between Chrome and Edge.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
I use Edge as my second browser.
Cent is my primary browser.
On my system Edge still lacks the speed of Cent and both of them are lucking the smooth scrolling of Firefox/Cyberfox.
On the other hand Firefox uses more CPU from the other two.
Cent is the best in my system considering CPU usage.

D

Deleted member 178

Lol we are on a security forum and people " hate" the most secure browser because it doesn't have extensions which are one of the main weaknesses of classical browsers :rolleyes:

i admit , the GUI and the design is quite poor , but in term of security , only Tweaked Chrome beat it.

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
Lol we are on a security forum and people " hate" the most secure browser because it doesn't have extensions which are one of the main weaknesses of classical browsers :rolleyes:

i admit , the GUI and the design is quite poor , but in term of security , only Tweaked Chrome beat it.

No I hate it because of the GUI and poor design.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.