Bryan J's Security Configuration

Bryan J

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 17, 2015
I've worked in the IT industry for more than 20 year's in multiple support roles. And am currently employed by a national cable provider as a Tier III support technician. I also maintain 2 websites in my spare time. And hold both CompTIA A+ & Network+ certifications.

I particularly enjoy working with security software/issues, and am considering obtaining the Security+ cert as well.

I welcome any feedback/suggestions on my security configuration.

Thanks for taking the time to read this thread.

Cheers!!

Bryan J

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 17, 2015
Looks good. You can add uBlock in place of Adblock Plus & a 2nd browser.

Thanks! Yes, I had ublock installed at one point. And I've also rotated through several browsers in the past before sticking with FF. I still have Chrome installed but rarely use it due to it's impact on resources. I've also used Maxthon, Opera, Pale Moon and MX Nitro before. But removed all of them.

(Oh, one browser I did like quite a bit was Citrio. I think I still have that installed) ;)

Bryan J

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 17, 2015
Let me recommend you PrivaZer. Works perfect with Ccleaner and keep your system in optimal conditions

Thanks Sr. Normal. I'll give it a try.

And thank you also Jo Man, I appreciate your input.
(Man I'm glad I found this site, I know I'm in good company/hands, that's for sure)

:p :) :D

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thank you @Bryan J for sharing your configuration which has already received an 'A' from members, & has many of my favorite apps installed!!:):)

A 'plus' you might consider attaching to your 'A' is adding an extra layer of protection for your browser by opening it in the free sandboxing app, Sandboxie.
Their latest version works quite well with Firefox as well as the Chromium sourced browser, Slimjet.
I use their portable version, and feel you might consider trying it as an alternate browser with similar success.

Thanks for sharing, and welcome to the fold!:D

Bryan J

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 17, 2015
Thank you @Bryan J for sharing your configuration which has already received an 'A' from members, & has many of my favorite apps installed!!:):)

A 'plus' you might consider attaching to your 'A' is adding an extra layer of protection for your browser by opening it in the free sandboxing app, Sandboxie.
Their latest version works quite well with Firefox as well as the Chromium sourced browser, Slimjet.
I use their portable version, and feel you might consider trying it as an alternate browser with similar success.

Thanks for sharing, and welcome to the fold!:D

My pleasure Cats....I'm glad to hear I got good grades. :p I'll check out SJ browser. Always a fan of portable apps. And yeah, I've read quite a bit about Sandboxie. Just never pulled that trigger, maybe due to my security ego. ?? lol But I'll also add that to my candidate list.

Thanks for the welcome and kind words, hope to see you around in the future. Have a good weekend everyone!!

Everything seems to be perfect as is.

Thanks for sharing your configuration.

Thank you also Fedora!!

Last edited by a moderator:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
A pretty solid configuration there. :)

Optional suggestion concern: Well its better to leave one updater progrsm which can handles a lot of database, or try Secunia PSI for overhaul security checker for any vulnerabilities.

D

Deleted member 178

laDBnrsl.jpg

Bryan J

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 17, 2015
A pretty solid configuration there. :)

Optional suggestion concern: Well its better to leave one updater progrsm which can handles a lot of database, or try Secunia PSI for overhaul security checker for any vulnerabilities.

That's funny you mention the update apps. Just last night, FHAM notified me of a Google Drive update, but wouldn't update after multiple tries. So I removed it and am sticking with sumo.

I've tried secunia psi several times in the past, never really had good luck with it. I might try it out again, as I don't use the download links sumo provides, I always use the developer's site or another reputable repository.

Reactions: JM Safe

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
That's awesome Umbra! Thanks man. I thought it was an advert, that's why I skipped you and replied to Antar36 next. lol
Hi @Bryan J. Our T-1000 Series Umbra (formerly of Skynet) 'is' advertising,:rolleyes: in a way, by challenging members (this includes all of us) to reprogram ourselves to no longer carelessly open executable files, click on suspicious email links, or carelessly open the door to 'Evil' malware exposure ..unless (of course) it's Umbra approved.:p This is under threat of his returning from the future, but instead he will send his human hating:mad: 'evil' version whom is reprogrammed to make us all :eek:pay for not obeying him now!!:D:D:D

D

Deleted member 178

That's awesome Umbra! Thanks man. I thought it was an advert, that's why I skipped you and replied to Antar36 next. lol

you will be punished for that !

this is my approval stamp ! if you got it ; it means that you have your system secured enough.

Hi @Bryan J. Our T-1000 Series Umbra (formerly of Skynet) 'is' advertising,:rolleyes: in a way, by challenging members (this includes all of us) to reprogram ourselves to no longer carelessly open executable files, click on suspicious email links, or carelessly open the door to 'Evil' malware exposure ..unless (of course) it's Umbra approved.:p This is under threat of his returning from the future, but instead he will send his human hating:mad: 'evil' version whom is reprogrammed to make us all :eek:pay for not obeying him now!!:D:D:D

exactly, i am the all-seeing one

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.