Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Google takes a lot of stick from Apple and others over malware on the Android platform, but the company thinks the OS is now so secure that users don't need antivirus software.

Speaking at the RSA Conference in San Francisco this week, Adrian Ludwig, lead engineer for Android security, explained that Google is now scanning for malware so often and has become so adept at spotting malware that less than 1 per cent of Android devices has a malware problem.

"I'm conflicted about antivirus [for mobile]. It's tremendously valuable that all these security companies are doing this research, but for the end user the potential increase in value from a security standpoint is very small relative to the costs of space and storage and battery," Ludwig told The Register.

"That said, some people really want to run it and if it makes you feel better then by all means do it."

Read more: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/04/24/android_antivirus/

L

LabZero

For me the main problem of Android malware concerns the rooted device and alternative markets where it is possible to download app not verified.
I use Bitdefender Mobile Security security that also has the web filter.:)

Reactions: FreddyFreeloader

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
I run a antivirus app on my device to say that I do. My device is rooted, so that's just another I would need to have one.

cdnsempre

Level 1
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
I have recently a gionnee A65 and i run the webroot mobile and It is strongly clinging to the android system. It´s hard do uninstall...but i think really protect against outside.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
As much as possible Play Store is really a safest way to download APK, just keep in mind that few reviews or very premature products can possible contains suspicious/malicious traces unless you know the developers well.

Most APK viruses run through lots of permission and in my experience, a rare situation to execute without permission needed.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I has an LG G3 and it has McAfee built in, which (apparently) can stop a thief rooting your device. I have tried to remove it, but no luck! Not too sure whether it has a web filter, do android devices even need one?

L

LabZero

Yes, even the McAfee free version offers web security by blocking access to dangerous sites.
This can be useful if you use Android device to insert personal data and there may be the risk of Phishing.
To the danger of downloading malware I don't think web filter works to much because Android malware needs privileges that only you can give.

Unless the device is rooted, in this case the risk will increase and there is not safety because the malware has all privileges to infect the device.

Reactions: jamescv7
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.