App Review "Bypassing" NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Please report this video to EXE radar developer (I'm not the author of this video). After asking this youtube channel of this yesterday evening, they immediatly uploaded a video.. I don't know if it's a bypass, so I used quotation marks. Happy easter to all :)

D

Deleted member 178

1- In default setting ERP allow powershell , so it is obvious the attack will work... Anti-exe are not AV , they aren't supposed to be used with default settings.
2- This version is abandoned, a new ERP is being developed.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
The free beta version from 2015, which most people seem to be using, has all the powershell executables on the vulnerable processes list, at default settings. This means you will get a prompt if malware tries to execute powershell. Same goes for cmd.exe.
The author of the video argues that such settings would be impractical in a corporate environment. This might be true, for corporations, but it is not a problem for home users.

D

Deleted member 178

The free beta version from 2015, which most people seem to be using, has all the powershell executables on the vulnerable processes list, at default settings. This means you will get a prompt if malware tries to execute powershell. Same goes for cmd.exe.
The author of the video argues that such settings would be impractical in a corporate environment. This might be true, for corporations, but it is not a problem for home users.
Where he say that?

Looking at this video it appears that he removed cmd.exe and powershell.exe from the Vulnerable Process List. He disabled cmd.exe and powershell.exe alerts to make ERP hypothetically "work" in a corporate environment.

Also, on his YouTube channel in the comments of this video he states "But if you whitelist cmd.exe and powershell.exe, a skilled attacker is most likely going to be able to bypass it."

D

Deleted member 178

Looking at this video it appears that he removed cmd.exe and powershell.exe from the Vulnerable Process List. He disabled cmd.exe and powershell.exe alerts to make ERP hypothetically "work" in a corporate environment.

Also, on his YouTube channel in the comments of this video he states "But if you whitelist cmd.exe and powershell.exe, a skilled attacker is most likely going to be able to bypass it."
He used old stable version 10032014, we can see it at the beginning. old stable didn't have powershell & cmd as vulnerable processes if i recall well.

Gapp

Level 2
Verified
Mar 26, 2017
Very nice explanation Mr. Umbra and Mr. Lockdown. I see that its in the vulnerable process alright :) Is there anything that we should add to be more protected Sirs?

52768922017-04-16_234114.jpg

Thank you :)

Someone needs to ask him point-blank if he removed cmd.exe and powershell.exe from the Vulnerable Process List so as not to generate any ERP alerts when those processes execute a script. On the other hand, if they are not run using their Shells (cmd.exe, powershell.exe) but instead run via a dll or some other means, ERP might not generate an alert when they execute a script.

D

Deleted member 178

Someone needs to ask him point-blank if he removed cmd.exe and powershell.exe from the Vulnerable Process List so as not to generate any ERP alerts when those processes execute a script. On the other hand, if they are not run using their Shells (cmd.exe, powershell.exe) but instead run via a dll or some other means, ERP might not generate an alert when they execute a script.
The version of ERP he used doesn't have powershell as vulnerable processes , so the attack isn't blocked.

Attachments

• ERP.jpg
    ERP.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 547
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Solarquest

Emmanuellws

Level 3
Verified
Mar 11, 2017
Please report this video to EXE radar developer (I'm not the author of this video). After asking this youtube channel of this yesterday evening, they immediatly uploaded a video.. I don't know if it's a bypass, so I used quotation marks. Happy easter to all :)

Guys don't panic. Look at Panda's bypassed video comment section. They are a Cylance and CB reseller as well. Finally, the actual weakness is in Windows 7 and it's Powershell version 1.0 or 2.0 - all product will fail as they will use all types of powershell attack tools and will always bypass...if not file based, fileless will work as well, after I mentioned about "Invoke Obfuscation" powershell method Carbon Black won't be able to block as well, look at their answers....they still need to combine with Logrhythm or CyberShark to detect. Don't worry guys....trust your own product. Look at this video then you will understand...no security product at this moment can 100% protect you against advanced powershell attack especially fileless based attack. If only their video ran on Windows 10, disable Powershell 2.0, enable Windows Defender, enable your product...if run the exact same attack from the current video of your product...it will fail to bypass..but of course, if they were to reproduce another video running on windows 10, they will surely leverage the attack to another level.

If your product is running on Windows 10 or server 2016, disable Powershell 2.0, running fully on Powershell version 5, setup logging in Events, GPO, setup Logrhythm/Cybershark or other similar tools, install your product ensure support AMSI, Enable Windows Defender and secure it.. then you are protected from the most advanced powershell attack...except invoke Obfuscation Powershell Attack which needs close monitoring on your networks and system event.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.