California Provider to Close After Ransomware Attack Damages System

[correlate]

Level 18
Thread author
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2019
Wood Ranch Medical reported ransomware recently encrypted its systems and backups, which the provider was unable to recover; Campbell County continues its recovery and another ransomware incident complete this week’s breach roundup.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Reactionary IT. Happens all of the time.

Doctors and Dentists are the cheapest people ever for IT. EVER! They literally don't care about anything relating to IT as long as it doesn't get in their way. They buy the cheapest equipment, rarely update it, and almost never pay licensing fees. This isn't isolated, it's widespread. HIPAA is a joke, nobody gets audited any longer and even worse, the compliance forms are self-filled out and rarely checked by the govt. auditors.

I had a client awhile back call me to ask about a compliance form. They said they filled out what they googled that sounded right and sent it in. Nothing on the form they practiced or had in place. So pathetic.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
They weren't running Windows XP. And they had backups - which were encrypted as well.
I know it was just an exaggeration. But dang whatever security policy they had failed miserably if the malware was able to spread this way.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.