Can a keyboard be infected with Malware?

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

viel

Thread author
Hi,
As we know, USBs can be infected with Malware/Viruses but can Keyboard be infected?
I just plugged in my keyboard into a possibly infected computer, this keyboard is a cheap chinese "gaming" keyboard I got off Ebay, so I do not know much info about it. I am actually scared to plug it into my clean PC

Does anyone here know if malware can infect peripherals? like mice or keyboards?

Thanks

Reactions: Vasudev

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Hi,
As we know, USBs can be infected with Malware/Viruses but can Keyboard be infected?
I just plugged in my keyboard into a possibly infected computer, this keyboard is a cheap chinese "gaming" keyboard I got off Ebay, so I do not know much info about it. I am actually scared to plug it into my clean PC

Does anyone here know if malware can infect peripherals? like mice or keyboards?

Thanks
If your keyboard has upgradable firmware, yes. This would require an attacker to have physical access to the keyboard itself to be able to reverse engineer the firmware and plant a rootkit which would be able to monitor the keystrokes of any machine the keyboard is plugged into.
I don't know if malware can achieve the same result and even if it can I doubt you'll ever see it as anything besides PoC by testing labs.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
The malware going around nowadays doesn't work that way.
But it does sound like a good trick for the NSA to try and develop.

V

viel

Thread author
What
Does it come with Custom Macro key stroke feature? Generally I don't think keyboards can be infected. But you never know. One thing I certain, the real bacteria/virus living on keyboard is harmful.
what is a custom macro key stroke?

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I have no idea if that feature is available on my keyboard, anyway to check?

Thanks.
There'd be software that came with it that would allow you to program the keys with the recorded action. Sometimes there's additional keys usually labelled M1, M2, etc.

Reactions: Vasudev and viel

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
It's possible considering the fact that keystrokes are part of function as a code, therefore it can be manipulated when not patched properly.

So far attacks are related to keyloggers but as next generation comes, hardware attacks are more deadlier because of lack in security.

Reactions: Vasudev and frogboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.