Advice Request Can I downgrade back to Windows 7 from Windows 10?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

hancafe

Thread author
Jun 6, 2019
If you don't like Windows 10 on a specific computer after updating can you go back to Windows 7 easily ?

The reason I ask is because this laptop I am not sure if it will run Windows 10 well enough.

• Thanks
Reactions: Dave Russo and Brie

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
"Downgrade easily" like click one button, no, you can't. You could back then when Windows 10 was just rolled out. Now, you can go back, but you need to manually clean install the SO. But given the circumstances, the support life and the development for Windows 7, I would recommend to start migrating and adapting to the most recent one.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Yeah, @WinXPert said the most important thing. I had encountered countless laptops with one critical flaw (for that price point it is usual expectation).
Manufacturer provides only 64bit set of drivers (usually Win10 only) and it puts 2GB of RAM inside. Of course, 64bit can operate under 2GB of RAM but it's mostly unpleasant experience.

Brie

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 1, 2018
Press Windows + R, to open the Run dialogue box, then enter msinfo32 and then press enter. Have a look for Processor in the right side of the window.
amd a6, 9220e, 1600mhz, 2 cores
4 gb memory.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
i would like to know too. i bought a cheap laptop. :giggle:

thanks in advance.
I recommend you to try multiple versions of windows to see what is the best. W10 tends to run slowly on cheap laptops, you may not notice it if you don't use "better" versions
I recommend to use windows 10 1809 or 1903 first -> backup -> clean install v1511 -> windows 8.1 v9300 -> windows 7 (all after tweaking)
you will definitely see gradual improvement in speed

W7 has the worst default driver support (from MS), W8.1 is similar to W10 but w10 is a bit better in driver support

I prefer W8.1 v9300 the most because it has smartscreen and better security than w7 while speed is much better than w10 + fast startup feature. W7 has the best speed

windows 10 from v1703 causes overheating of my nvidia GPU during normal usage, worse during gaming despite all attempts to improve the condition. Easily noticed by touching the laptop where the GPU is located
extremely long discussion in geforce forum -> solution: use v1511 or 1603

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.