Can MAC Address Changer ruin my network adapter?

Can NVT's MAC changer ruin my network adapter?

• Yes, it likely will

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but its unlikely

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeLovesSecurity

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jul 28, 2017
I came accross NVT's MAC Address Changer, and I'm very excited to see a MAC changer for Windows. However, could this program ruin my network adapter or any other components? If so, how do I reduce the risk of that happening?

Reactions: ZeroDay

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
As far as i'm aware any Windows program that changes you MAC address is simply writing the change to the registry. The actual MAC address is hard coded into the non-erasable chip on your motherboard or standalone network adapter.

NoVirusThanks

From NoVirusThanks
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Aug 23, 2012
The program has a button that allows you to restore the original MAC address of the selected network adapter:

mac-address-changer-screenshot-1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.