TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Good morning, a few weeks ago I had problems with the configuration of My router, which was no longer working. It was a bit strange because I didn't change any setting. Now it's completely broken, and even if you try to reset it, it won't connect to the Internet. My question is, could it be broken by the malware I executed in the virtual machine? I didn't have any problems in the past when I wasn't testing malware

safe1st

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
Good morning, a few weeks ago I had problems with the configuration of My router, which was no longer working. It was a bit strange because I didn't change any setting. Now it's completely broken, and even if you try to reset it, it won't connect to the Internet. My question is, could it be broken by the malware I executed in the virtual machine? I didn't have any problems in the past when I wasn't testing malware

how old is your router?

L

LabZero

If some of the router's admin interfaces have vulnerabilities that expose them to attacks as XSS, CSRF, command injection, or otherwise based on an unsafe authentication procedure, then a malware can infect the router but It's rare.
In this case, an attacker may be able to change the DNS server by entering an arbitrary IP, just by using simple JavaScript code but It does not seems to me your case, I think about HW failure.
Is it possible to update the router firmware?

Last edited by a moderator:

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
I updated the firmaware some days ago, it was fine for some days and after it shopper working. My router is 3 years old

L

LabZero

I updated the firmaware some days ago, it was fine for some days and after it shopper working. My router is 3 years old
Are you sure that the problem is the router or maybe problems about the internet connection, or your ISP?

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Like Klipsh says just trash it.
I had an infection in a Netgear router and I can tell you worse things than breaking it can happen. PeAcE

Reactions: LabZero

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.