Can old phones be made to run the latest version of Android ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetman

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
Hi-

I have a Moto G first generation which runs Android 5.1 and wont update anymore.

This presumably opens it up to all sorts of security vulnerabilities ?

The phone is nice for browsing the Internet on WiFi and it is such a shame to throw it away. But does anyone know if there is an easy way top make it run the latest version of Android ? I appreciate that the hardware isn't the most recent but surely the processor is physically capable of running the latest version. I thought that there may be some sort of trick to force it to update ?

Any comments or thoughts about this ?

Cheers

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Each non-updated OS may have not resolved and exploitable vulnerabilities.

In the specific of the Android operating system, it may happen that for some smartphone or tablet it was not released an official update because abandoned by the developers, but being Android an open source operating system, are often released other system images produced by independent developers (coocked ROM).
But you've to get the root, this may cause problems and you can lose the warranty.

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Each non-updated OS may have not resolved and exploitable vulnerabilities.

In the specific of the Android operating system, it may happen that for some smartphone or tablet it was not released an official update because abandoned by the developers, but being Android an open source operating system, are often released other system images produced by independent developers (coocked ROM).
But you've to get the root, this may cause problems and you can lose the warranty.

It is indeed a risky process. But the warranty shouldn't be an issue, because in this case it probably expired long time ago, considering the age of the device.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Hi-

I have a Moto G first generation which runs Android 5.1 and wont update anymore.

This presumably opens it up to all sorts of security vulnerabilities ?

The phone is nice for browsing the Internet on WiFi and it is such a shame to throw it away. But does anyone know if there is an easy way top make it run the latest version of Android ? I appreciate that the hardware isn't the most recent but surely the processor is physically capable of running the latest version. I thought that there may be some sort of trick to force it to update ?

Any comments or thoughts about this ?

Cheers
See Moto G series Android update: when will I get it? - AndroidPIT

The Moto G 1st gen (2013) didn't receive Android Marshmallow or Nougat either, but you can still get hold of these through a custom ROM - have a look at the guides below for help on how to do this:

I use Android 6.0.1 and iOS 9.3.5 on a daily basis with no issues regarding security, of course there are risks with using un-supported/older hardware. If you are concerned, but don't wish to "hack" your phone, buy a 2017 Android phone with Nougat (v7).

What are your thoughts about upgrading your phone?

EASTER

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2017
Bugs. Custom ROMs usually are a lot buggier compared to OEM ROM.

That's plenty enough to steer clear I guess. Personally I not flashed any Custom ROMS but also doesn't mean I wont at some point.

There would have to be plenty of proof from others that the way is clear before making that move.

I'm quite well enough learned in flashing Android with (ADB) and I do keep ample supply of TWRP backups as well as Factory Stock ROM's in case of ill fortune but so far nothing in the Custom ROMS suits my taste to date. Plus since I R00T I got my feelers deep enough in the system and all it's long lists of code/locations to make just the right necessary adjustments for both security AND high performance.

I would be disappointed if either of those 2 didn't meet to expectations as well as the OEM ROMs.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
That's plenty enough to steer clear I guess. Personally I not flashed any Custom ROMS but also doesn't mean I wont at some point.

There would have to be plenty of proof from others that the way is clear before making that move.

I'm quite well enough learned in flashing Android with (ADB) and I do keep ample supply of TWRP backups as well as Factory Stock ROM's in case of ill fortune but so far nothing in the Custom ROMS suits my taste to date. Plus since I R00T I got my feelers deep enough in the system and all it's long lists of code/locations to make just the right necessary adjustments for both security AND high performance.

I would be disappointed if either of those 2 didn't meet to expectations as well as the OEM ROMs.
If you have root friendly device like One Plus, then the custom ROMs made for them won't be so buggy AFAIK. Would have to read XDA forums before making these kind of decisions.

ispx

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2017
when it comes to my computers i use the original / untouched windows iso from msdn & not a homebrew / teamos compiled iso.

well then why would i want an altered / tweaked xda iso for my mobile device?

with all due respect to the boys at xda developers & teamos hkrg.

EASTER

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2017
If you have root friendly device like One Plus, then the custom ROMs made for them won't be so buggy AFAIK. Would have to read XDA forums before making these kind of decisions.

Yeah I been a member of that forum a long time but also haven't been on it much at all the past year either.

Am satisfied as is with my current androids and how they are set up and it's too easy for me to be drawed into experimenting too much or spending way too much time that wouldn't be as productive I think then what I already have in place for my HAM 2 Phablets.

Reactions: Deletedmessiah

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Yeah I been a member of that forum a long time but also haven't been on it much at all the past year either.

Am satisfied as is with my current androids and how they are set up and it's too easy for me to be drawed into experimenting too much or spending way too much time that wouldn't be as productive I think then what I already have in place for my HAM 2 Phablets.
I agree. With root and xposed I too don't need custom rom. And lately, I'm using my phone only for casual stuffs(browsing, streaming, messengers etc). And after updating my phone a while back, I haven't even bothered to root it again.

Reactions: brambedkar59

Hadden

Level 2
Verified
Oct 18, 2015
Probably, the best compromise between security/updating OS is to use a stock/OEM based custom rom or only a custom kernel but always keeping the root off (some roms can do that). Of course is still 3rd party and not certified OS at the point :)
And yes, no stock based roms, are usually slower and bugged :3
I didn't root or mod the new phone as it works nicely.
Of course, this require a bit of knowledge, you risk to brick and kill your phone if you do mess.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deletedmessiah

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
if your phone's bootloader can be "opened" without any risk of hard bricking it, go for it. some phones are impossible or really hard and risky to put custom roms on, some are easy and favorable.

i hate this "omg root means you get hacked/infected/dog stolen" mindset, you're running an administrator account on Windows, yet you don't want to root your phone...

Hadden

Level 2
Verified
Oct 18, 2015
Agree. I had root/roms/kernel on two phones for years without any AV. And the phones are still alive.
I don't agree who root without knowing what root is. XD
Root now can be used only when need in rom, it has sense.
And maybe can be rooted>hacked with an exploiting app (well, the root uses exploits XD)
Mod is nice to play with, but only with knowing what it implies.
:D

Last edited:

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
i have never been & never will be in favor of custom roms.
I agree too much hassle, too little to gain with a slight chance of hard bricking the phone.

Bugs. Custom ROMs usually are a lot buggier compared to OEM ROM.
Yup & most of the custom OSs I found were just designed to look like newer versions, when the underlying OS was still the same.
I would rather root my phone and tinker with it than install a custom OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.