Advice Request Can several anti-ransomware programs be used at the same time?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Glad to see that answers, recommendation and tips and hints in this thread is very logic and realistic. Not much more that I personal really can add that hasen't already been said. If the OP is still curious if several anti-ransomware would conflict on the same machine, why simply not test IMO. If what most here said for any reason don't make sense or not understood etc, doing it is the only way to genuine fully answer the question. Very much the same what @Spawn talks about.

Last edited:

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Comodo + AppCheck A/R. If you go with Comodo Firewall and are super paranoid, you could also add a better a-v than the Comodo version in CIS and CCAV, such as Avast or Forticlient or even Kaskersky anti-virus.

Comodo sandbox is the perfect last line of defense against ransomware, except for one thing. This is that it's more often than not the first alert, since the sandbox alerts and sandboxes for almost all unsigned applications. Still, if you want a secure system, trust Comodo and beat back your curiosity. It's important with Comodo's sandbox to allow the security do its job. You will start to enjoy the protection after some time.

What happens if you forget to make a backup one day and your PC gets infected by ransomware?

There are a number of good folder/file syncing backup utilities. Any of these will back up your files to a backup drive and on your own schedule. File syncing programs use very few resources. One thing to remember, however. Make sure you shut down the sync immediately if you are hit by ransomware. It will sadly overwrite the backup files with the encrypted ones if it syncs before the files can be restored.

Last edited:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
What happens if you forget to make a backup one day and your PC gets infected by ransomware? You lose 10 pages of writing. But with a good anti-ransomware protection, you don't.
Even if you install multiple anti-ransomware programs, it will not guarantee you won't be infected. Aside from that, it's simply not a good idea and you cuodl get slowdowns or crashes. As already mentioned, if you keep Windows, your browser, etc updated and be careful about what files you open, then it is highly unlikely you will get infected with ransomware.

RodM1956

Level 4
Verified
Feb 1, 2019
Everyone recommending me to install backup software and buy external hard drives is off topic. This thread is about whether several anti-ransomware programs can be use simultaneously. I respect your perspective, but I disagree with it because it is not feasible when you work with files that are updated several times a day. Say you're a writer and have several Word files containing several short stories, poems and novels you're working on or translating from other languages. You don't work on them continuously cause of other life issues. You work for a couple of hours in the morning, a couple of hours in the afternoon and sometimes late at night. What are you going to do? Constantly take backups of your writings folders several times a day? It seems like a tedious task. What happens if you forget to make a backup one day and your PC gets infected by ransomware? You lose 10 pages of writing. But with a good anti-ransomware protection, you don't. And that's just with writing. Imagine you're a YouTuber and have to film and edit daily videos. Or a photographer and have to constantly edit photos from the clients' USB sticks. You'd get so confused trying to juggle between daily backups from one hard drive to another.

Well I believe Ashampoo bought an image product (who's name I forget), and if memory serves me correctly, it made a base image, to any medium you chose, and then it made images of changes in the background, that occurred on your PC... This product NOW owned by Ashapoo may even have a free version.

Everyone recommending me to install backup software and buy external hard drives is off topic. This thread is about whether several anti-ransomware programs can be use simultaneously. I respect your perspective, but I disagree with it because it is not feasible when you work with files that are updated several times a day. Say you're a writer and have several Word files containing several short stories, poems and novels you're working on or translating from other languages. You don't work on them continuously cause of other life issues. You work for a couple of hours in the morning, a couple of hours in the afternoon and sometimes late at night. What are you going to do? Constantly take backups of your writings folders several times a day? It seems like a tedious task. What happens if you forget to make a backup one day and your PC gets infected by ransomware? You lose 10 pages of writing. But with a good anti-ransomware protection, you don't. And that's just with writing. Imagine you're a YouTuber and have to film and edit daily videos. Or a photographer and have to constantly edit photos from the clients' USB sticks. You'd get so confused trying to juggle between daily backups from one hard drive to another.

I found it....Ocster Backup is now Ashampoo Backup!

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
You do not have to worry so much for ransomware infection. Never it come alone to your pc. If the pc is for your work you have to be careful. Do not download Unknown files and executes without check the files before. One solution is check the files in virus total or with one good second opinion scaner. You must have a good antivirus. If you want more strong protection combo the antivirus with voodooshield or CFW. And never forget. You are will invite the ransomware to your system ;)

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
Can several anti-ransomware programs be used on the same computer at the same time? If I wanted to install Acronis Anti-Ransomware, ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware, RansomOff, AppCheck Anti-Ransomware, CyberSight Anti-Ransomware and Hitman Pro Alert on the same Windows 10 PC, would they conflict with each other? :confused:

As others have pointed out, your computer would be slow as molasses if you used all that protection at the same time. I have totally ditched antivirus software, and use Voodooshield now together with Hitman as an on demand checker, but nothing will be able to infect your computer with Voodooshield on it. An app like Appguard is also one of the better solutions, they are just damn expensive. Both also use a minimal amount of resources. But I guess some people feel best when using a traditional antivirus, and that's fine.

thrillskr

Level 2
Verified
Dec 28, 2018
AppCheck is a great choise. If you need/want the pro functions there is most time discount and you pay $24,99.

And renew ‘discount’ after one year $22,99.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
One solution is check the files in virus total

Simplifying that:

Because nobody has mentioned it, I will insert that one of the most highly regarded antiransomware programs is WAR, Win Anti-Ransomware, by the same outfit as WinPatrol. It's shareware, but it's not real expensive.

Given your lack of income available to buy software, I would really suggest strongly that you subscribe to some websites that offer temporary giveaways of shareware. I know of three good English language ones. Two are BitsDuJour and Giveaway of the Day. Giveaway Club is not as good as the three I have in mind, but you can get some good stuff there. Backup programs are sometimes offered for free from these giveaway sites.

You may also be able to get a perfectly adequate backup program solution with freeware. Do searches for things like "best free backup programs". There are some websites that specialize in free software, such as Gizmo's. You can go to the forum there and ask for recommendations., as well as making a thread to ask for recommendations here.

There are also some free cloud storage websites. Search "best free cloud storage / online backup". Obviously the support and service cannot be expected to be as good as with paid, but it's better than nothing. You can compensate for size limits by using more than one. The standard expert advice is backup both to an external hard drive and to the cloud. I also recall a free program called something like Backup Buddy that allows you to back up, encrypted, to a friend's computer.

Keep in mind there are more reasons than just ransomware protection to want to have backups.

Reactions: JB007 and AtlBo

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Because nobody has mentioned it, I will insert that one of the most highly regarded antiransomware programs is WAR, Win Anti-Ransomware, by the same outfit as WinPatrol. It's shareware, but it's not real expensive.

Oh my.

Winpatrol and WAR are dead. Long dead.

Stick-a-fork-in-it-dead.

There was only a brief moment in time where WAR was considered decent. It went away quickly.

WAR is garbage.

If you use the search function, you can see where this is discussed in multiple threads.

Here is one:
WinPatrol plus no longer developed?

Reactions: JB007 and Nevi

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013

Well, if CruelSister has turned against WAR that carries a lot of weight with me since she was one of its biggest enthusiasts.

As for WinPatrol Plus, I'm still using it, it still serves me well, it still performs the way it used to perform for me.

The silence of the current developer is obviously a matter for concern. I think it's too soon to say it's a fact that he has decided to abscond more or less. Perhaps he has fallen into bad health or some other crisis. There were a couple of years when SpyShelter went undeveloped, and people thought it was dead. But it came back with a vengeance. So, time will tell.

RodM1956

Level 4
Verified
Feb 1, 2019
Well, if CruelSister has turned against WAR that carries a lot of weight with me since she was one of its biggest enthusiasts.

As for WinPatrol Plus, I'm still using it, it still serves me well, it still performs the way it used to perform for me.

The silence of the current developer is obviously a matter for concern. I think it's too soon to say it's a fact that he has decided to abscond more or less. Perhaps he has fallen into bad health or some other crisis. There were a couple of years when SpyShelter went undeveloped, and people thought it was dead. But it came back with a vengeance. So, time will tell.

Winpatrol was around forever, the orig developer made it hum.... Then it got sold!!!

Now I ask what is it with these great apps after they are sold, they go to shiiiiiit?

I'll tell you what it is...The orig developer has a passion for what he created, it was his baby.

The new developers have no love for it, they just saw the sales figures. Possibly they are idiots, and not up to the task of product development.

Another case just like this was a very nice image program, that worked within windows, got sold and went to hell.

Love what you do, have a passion for it, and it will succeed.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018

I used and liked WinPatrol... for a long time.

I still have it on one 'classic' computer. And that's how I know that there has not been an update since 2017.

Over at the old unofficial forum, Lanzdown (or something like that), they discuss how Brett told them to fold up the WP forums a while back.

Over at Bleeping... people even this year have been auto-billed and tried to get anybody at WinPatrol to answer an email or phone.... no go.

The website www.winpatrol.com doesn't even have a valid certificate anymore.

The Facebook site has not had an update since 2016.

I got caught up in the initial CruelSister hype and bought a WAR 3-Pack. Not my best purchase. I doubt I used it for more than a few weeks. Instability and false positives.

I don't think they are coming back. And at this point, it's obsolete anyway.

But I'm happy to hear that you still get some good use out of it.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.