Can we trust independent anti virus testers? Where to get honest reviews?

Do you trust independent anti virus testers?

• Yes

Votes: 10 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • Only some of them..

Votes: 12 30.0%

• Total voters

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I take these reviews with a grain of salt and to be honest the only review I have found interesting is the latest on MSE.That actually seemed to be an unbiased review since MSE has been getting dogged in every testing report in the past.
Would I switch to MSE based on this? No
In these testing reports you see some vendors are never listed. Maybe because there is still some integrity in business? Once again my personal opinion however it doesn't take a PHD to see there are a select few always at the top.
Personally I find these to be more of an advertisement than an advisement.
The average consumer looks at these and is immediately drawn to the AAA+ rating or whatever the seal of approval is.Never doing any further homework.
My vote is NO.The only true test is on your system and only your system

Parkos

Level 1
Nov 1, 2015
When I used to be younger,I would switch my antivirus immediatly to the highest scoring free one. After a while I would always switch back to the solution I was most comfortable with. Now I'm even using a solution that is not being tested. So the tests are really good for marketing and gaining more customers. But, ofcourse some solution will detect more then others and vice-versa.

However, If someone uses WD and never gets infected, while someone else uses a really high scoring solution and always gets infected. Does that mean WD is better? Nope, so just as @exterminator20 said before me. Just test the solution yourself and use the one that gives you the most peace of mind.

Last edited by a moderator:

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Although I am certainly not a great fan of Professional testing organizations (for many of the reasons noted above and a few others) they still have a place in the decision process.

Just telling someone that they should try out a product on their system to see how it fits really isn’t being helpful. They would first at least need a Star to Steer by (some direction in picking a product to use initially); and even then unless they have the time and knowledge to do proper testing (not an easy thing at all) having them using it until it fails isn’t the best advice to give. For certain products this time will be quite short and end in tears.

So as much as I hate to say it, in the absence of any other sources of information stuff like AV test, etc actually do provide some value (I think I’m going to gag).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.