Can you use an Adblocker on a rooted Android phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lockjack

Level 1
Verified
Feb 22, 2014
For my jailbroke iphone, I have something that is called minimal hosts blocker. Its minimal on the size of the host file. Anyway its awesome the only ads I get are the iads and you block them another way which I haven't got back around to doing. My dad though has the SG6 and hes old. He is clicking more ads than he is browsing the app. Is there something for the non-rooted android to block ads system wide.

OC-Rat11

Level 1
Nov 16, 2015
I'm rooted and I use AdAway. Clearly the best.

For nonrooted, there's one called Adguard. But it's not half as good as the rooted ones. You have to download it from their website.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
D

Deleted member 178

For nonrooted, there's one called Adguard. But it's not half as good as the rooted ones.

Sorry to contradict you, Adguard is even better, it can remove browser & in-app ads that Adaway, Adfree and many other root-needed adblockers i tested couldn't despite their claimings... and with Adguard you don't even need a rooted phone.

mal1

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2015
I tried Adguard yesterday, it created a VPN connection after closing my preexisting VPN connection. Why would an Adblocker create a VPN tunnel?

mal1

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2015
because the traffic will use it and the ads will be filtered.

And that's how all (android) adblockers work, or it's only the case with Adguard? Because I wouldn't want to let an adblocker set my VPN connection, this would mean that I'd have no control over VPN server location, logs, etc.

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
And that's how all (android) adblockers work, or it's only the case with Adguard? Because I wouldn't want to let an adblocker set my VPN connection, this would mean that I'd have no control over VPN server location, logs, etc.
Unfortunately, that's the only way to block ads on an unrooted phone. On a rooted one, you can access the HOSTS file and use a program to add webpages to the blacklist.

*1,000 Posts! True One.*

Reactions: mal1

thepierrezou

Level 8
Verified
Sep 25, 2013
If we talk about performance, adguard can't beat a host file. And host can't bug, local vpn can.
Adguard is not better, just more user friendly(and even that i don't know), adaway block almost all ads on the phone.(except youtube, you need to use a xposed module).

D

Deleted member 178

If we talk about performance, adguard can't beat a host file. And host can't bug, local vpn can.

Everything put in host file is a slowdowner, since the OS need to read the file everytime. Adaway couldn't suppress ads in some apps i used, Adguard did (in apps, in browser), that is all that matter.

Adguard uses special filters to remove ads and their banners in the apps. Adaway, as far as i know, just add a line in the host file. Adaway can't even compared.

and Adaway is not the best i found for rooted phones , Adfree was better, in my opinion, but seems discontinued.

Adguard is not better, just more user friendly(and even that i don't know), adaway block almost all ads on the phone.(except youtube, you need to use a xposed module).

Do you have Adguard for Android installed ? because i guess you don't , so talking about something you didn't tried is quite useless, no? :D
Adguard don't even need the phone to be rooted; user friendly, yes , you don't have to take the risk to brick your phone...

Now all i said is based solely on my opinion and tests (im a beta-tester for Adguard); for me it outshines all other adblockers for Android.

Last edited by a moderator:

thepierrezou

Level 8
Verified
Sep 25, 2013
I'm beta tester for Adguard on Windows and I tried adguard for android, but I prefer use something more light for the phone.(Adguard takes more battery, cpu and ram but it's normal, there are more feature.)
I understand why you love adguard on android and it's hard to compare both, one is just a host file, the other is a real adblocker.
But if you want to use a real vpn, opera max or something like this, you can't use adguard and it can be a problem.

Reactions: Deleted member 178
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.