Solved Can't for the life of me, get rid of pop ups directing me to mackeeper

Infected operating system
High Sierra 10.13.6
Infected device issues
As stated above...
I have a mac laptop and have never had a problem until 3 days ago. I'm getting pop ups, sometimes in a language other than English, that direct me to mackeeper. It is not in my applications and doesn't come up in a spotlight search. No suspicious apps on computer that I can detect. I have tried four different programs to remove it and nothing has worked. I have also disabled extensions on Firefox and Chrome and Safari. Please advise.

I thank you for your help.

So Frustrated

Thread author
Aug 30, 2019
Hi. I have a mac laptop and have never had a problem until 3 days ago. I'm getting pop ups, sometimes in a language other than English, that direct me to mackeeper. It is not in my applications and doesn't come up in a spotlight search. No suspicious apps on computer that I can detect. I have tried four different programs to remove it and nothing has worked. I have also disabled extensions on Firefox and Chrome and Safari. Please advise.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Hi. I have a mac laptop and have never had a problem until 3 days ago. I'm getting pop-ups, sometimes in a language other than English, that direct me to mackeeper. It is not in my applications and doesn't come up in a spotlight search. No suspicious apps on computer that I can detect. I have tried four different programs to remove it and nothing has worked. I have also disabled extensions on Firefox and Chrome and Safari. Please advise.

Hello,
Did you run a scan with Malwarebytes? Did it find any malicious programs?
Some types of malware may also create a new group policy:

1. Go to System Preferences.
  2. Click Profiles.
  3. The list will include an item “AdminPrefs“. Select this and click the remove “” button in the lower-left corner.
    If there isn’t a Profiles icon, you don’t have any profiles installed, which is normal.

Do you have an ad blocker installed on your browser (eg - AdBlock or uBlock Origin). Some sites can contain javascript that shows these ads, so I would really recommend that you install an adblocker. Try installing an adblocker, and see if these pop-ups still occur.

gerinho

Level 1
Verified
Apr 28, 2018
Do you have an ad blocker installed on your browser (eg - AdBlock or uBlock Origin). Some sites can contain javascript that shows these ads, so I would really recommend that you install an adblocker. Try installing an adblocker, and see if these pop-ups still occur.

Yes, definitely a good adblocker (uBlock Origin) will block those ads, I've experience that too, the mackeeper plague!!!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.