Operating System
High Sierra 10.13.6
Current issues and symptoms
As stated above...
I have a mac laptop and have never had a problem until 3 days ago. I'm getting pop ups, sometimes in a language other than English, that direct me to mackeeper. It is not in my applications and doesn't come up in a spotlight search. No suspicious apps on computer that I can detect. I have tried four different programs to remove it and nothing has worked. I have also disabled extensions on Firefox and Chrome and Safari. Please advise.

I thank you for your help.

So Frustrated

Hi. I have a mac laptop and have never had a problem until 3 days ago. I'm getting pop ups, sometimes in a language other than English, that direct me to mackeeper. It is not in my applications and doesn't come up in a spotlight search. No suspicious apps on computer that I can detect. I have tried four different programs to remove it and nothing has worked. I have also disabled extensions on Firefox and Chrome and Safari. Please advise.

Jack

Level 85
Verified
Staff member
Hi. I have a mac laptop and have never had a problem until 3 days ago. I'm getting pop-ups, sometimes in a language other than English, that direct me to mackeeper. It is not in my applications and doesn't come up in a spotlight search. No suspicious apps on computer that I can detect. I have tried four different programs to remove it and nothing has worked. I have also disabled extensions on Firefox and Chrome and Safari. Please advise.

Hello,
Did you run a scan with Malwarebytes? Did it find any malicious programs?
Some types of malware may also create a new group policy:

1. Go to System Preferences.
  2. Click Profiles.
  3. The list will include an item “AdminPrefs“. Select this and click the remove “” button in the lower-left corner.
    If there isn’t a Profiles icon, you don’t have any profiles installed, which is normal.

Do you have an ad blocker installed on your browser (eg - AdBlock or uBlock Origin). Some sites can contain javascript that shows these ads, so I would really recommend that you install an adblocker. Try installing an adblocker, and see if these pop-ups still occur.

gerinho

Level 1
Do you have an ad blocker installed on your browser (eg - AdBlock or uBlock Origin). Some sites can contain javascript that shows these ads, so I would really recommend that you install an adblocker. Try installing an adblocker, and see if these pop-ups still occur.
Yes, definitely a good adblocker (uBlock Origin) will block those ads, I've experience that too, the mackeeper plague!!!