When I try to install win 8 in virtualbox I get this error
nA7qH.jpg

if I ignore it and hit continue I get this
dGiUP.jpg

Any ideas?

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Make sure you have the latest version of VirtualBox installed.

Make sure your hardware can handle virtutalization and is enabled in your BIOS.

Since I myself don't use VirtualBox, I know the instructions are a little different from VMWare or Hyper-V.

I've found this guide (with screenshots), Make sure you've done each one correctly.

http://techmell.com/how-to/install-windows-8-virtualbox/

Maybe someone that actually uses VirtualBox can be of help. :)

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You need to Enable Intel VT-x in the BIOS. Check that your manufacturer has released a firmware update. I got my update when Windows 7 was released in 2009.

Download SecurAble (GRC) to check if your PC/laptop has Hardware Virtualisation.
https://www.grc.com/securable.htm

LuQnz.png

Upvote 0

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Ok I tried GRC's securable and here's the results
bJrgW.jpg

I'm kinda confused on something, if virtutalization wasn't enabled then my vbox wouldn't work with xp/7 either right or wrong?
Once I reboot i'll check it just incase

Yes I had windows 8 selected in vbox

Upvote 0
P

Plexx

MRF71 said:
Ok I tried GRC's securable and here's the results
bJrgW.jpg

I'm kinda confused on something, if virtutalization wasn't enabled then my vbox wouldn't work with xp/7 either right or wrong?
Once I reboot i'll check it just incase

Yes I had windows 8 selected in vbox

Out of curiosity, what version of VB you are using?

Upvote 0

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
The latest version

Ok to my surprise virtutalization was disabled in my bios but now is enabled and it still won't install...as soon as it starts a black screen appears for a split second with an error but can't tell since it was so fast...where are the logs located for errors in vbox?

Since virtutalization was disabled does that effect security in a VM?

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Did you try creating a new Virtual Environment configuration in VBox for Windows 8 VM? (ie. deleting the old VBox settings before you enabled VT-x)

Upvote 0

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
YES it still won't work

EDIT: Read this on vbox's site
No hardware virtualization required. For many scenarios, VirtualBox does not require the processor features built into newer hardware like Intel VT-x or AMD-V. As opposed to many other virtualization solutions, you can therefore use VirtualBox even on older hardware where these features are not present.

http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch01.html#idp9589792

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.