Troubleshoot Can't open search results w/Cortana on Win10 x64

Shran

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 19, 2015
Hi all,

So basically, my search is just acting really wonky on Windows 10. If I search for an app or desktop program, it shows up and I press enter or click it, and it opens just fine. But, if I search for a setting, say "Windows Update" or "Bluetooth", etc. (basically anything in the new "settings" metro app), the result appears, but I can't actually open it from the search window, clicking or pressing enter does nothing.

See sreenshots:
upload_2016-8-1_17-23-26.png
upload_2016-8-1_17-24-13.png

Note that I can still access the "Settings" app itself just fine, but when I search for an individual setting with Cortana, it shows up in results, but I can't open it.

EDIT: I thought it would be a good idea to add, I have 2 other computers also using Windows 10, and they can open search results completely fine... it only happens on this one computer.
If you need system specs I can provide.

Thanks
~Shran

Shran

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 19, 2015
I don't use any anti-telemetry tools, no.
upload_2016-8-1_17-55-52.png

Found: {l:32 q7XahOi2sL+s1Auy3C2KNDcU1nVGAYOIevGHWwjM8rw=} Expected: {l:32 9rnAnuwzPjMQA7sW63oNAVhckspIngsqJXKYSUeQ5Do=}
2016-08-01 17:53:35, Info CSI 000043c5 Hashes for file member \SystemRoot\WinSxS\wow64_microsoft-windows-r..xwddmdriver-wow64-c_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.0_none_3dae054b56911c22\opencl.dll do not match actual file [l:10]"opencl.dll" :
Found: {l:32 q7XahOi2sL+s1Auy3C2KNDcU1nVGAYOIevGHWwjM8rw=} Expected: {l:32 9rnAnuwzPjMQA7sW63oNAVhckspIngsqJXKYSUeQ5Do=}
2016-08-01 17:53:35, Info CSI 000043c6 [SR] Could not reproject corrupted file [l:23 ml:24]"\??\C:\Windows\SysWOW64"\[l:10]"opencl.dll"; source file in store is also corrupted.

This is a completely clean install of Windows 10, made only 2 days ago, I don't see why the file would be corrupted already...
Tried killing Cortana as suggested, still didn't work.

Upvote 0

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Seeing that this build is new I would do a clean install of this or see if the Update fixes this, with the update coning this close i would how be too worried as the update is going to re-write
a lot of settings and features Cortana Included

Reactions: Logethica
Upvote 0

Shran

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 19, 2015
Logethica, I did what was suggested in that link, and the scan no longer finds corrupt files, but the same thing with not being able to click setting search results is still there. I can click/open all other search results, just not stuff in the new setting app.

Upvote 0

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Logethica, I did what was suggested in that link, and the scan no longer finds corrupt files, but the same thing with not being able to click setting search results is still there. I can click/open all other search results, just not stuff in the new setting app.
Sorry that it didn't completely solve the problem, @Shran :(
It would be a good idea to follow @_CyberGhosT_ s advice below...
Seeing that this build is new I would do a clean install of this or see if the Update fixes this, with the update coning this close i would how be too worried as the update is going to re-write
a lot of settings and features Cortana Included

Reactions: Shran and frogboy
Upvote 0

DizastaSong

Oct 19, 2017
I had this problem for months. It bugged me enough today so I decide to solve it or save my computer to throw at the first Microsoft employee that I met in my life. And I would look out for him.

Anyway, here's how I solved:
  • Go to C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Packages\
  • Delete the folder \Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy (Some warning might appear that files here are used by the system. Choose to ignore them.)
  • Logout from your account and login again.
Everything working now. Before I had other similar problem: I couldn't launch my programs, calc or even the control panel in the Start Menu. I solved it by deleting these registry entries:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags

I know that has been some time since this thread, but to anyone who might find this, here's a possible solution.

Edit: To remove my Windows' username.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.