Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
in reinstalling windows I deleted the hd partition
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
attached the hd externally to see the whole had and reformat it
I was in the process of reinstalling win 7 on a computer with the widows 7 installation disc. I got to the part where i chose custom install, and I deleted the partition with windows 7 in it to reinstall windows 7 without the old install there.
Now the hard drive wont recognize most of the Gigs on the hard drive.
How can I recover this space?

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Did you reformat the drive and then boot from the Windows 7 CD? or did you just pop in the windows 7 cd and followed the install and when you got to custom install proceeded that way?
I have seen this happen before when the drive is not reformatted prior to the install. By that i mean completely wipe your hard drive and then with the windows cd in restart and boot from the CD or USB
If you were to proceed this way there should be no loss of hard drive space

Upvote 0

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
I personally like Acronis Disk Director to resolve things like this. A boot disk can be created obviating the need to get into the OS. In this case the lost gig's are probably (as Huracan stated above) just Unallocated space and can be recovered quite simply.

Upvote 0

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
What do you see in disk management??
in disk management I see only the 14.25 G recovery partition and a 10 G partition the one that was used for windows is gone

Did you reformat the drive and then boot from the Windows 7 CD? or did you just pop in the windows 7 cd and followed the install and when you got to custom install proceeded that way?
I have seen this happen before when the drive is not reformatted prior to the install. By that i mean completely wipe your hard drive and then with the windows cd in restart and boot from the CD or USB
No I booted with the win 7 cd and got to the place where I selected what drive to install on .. I chose the custom install, and I must have been tired because rather than click on format I clicked on delete the partition.. so it was gone. and now when I put the Win 7 disk it , it says I exited with out finishing and I cant go any further with it.
So I hoped I could attach it externally to another computer..and just format it but I dont really get that option.

I personally like Acronis Disk Director to resolve things like this. A boot disk can be created obviating the need to get into the OS. In this case the lost gig's are probably (as Huracan stated above) just Unallocated space and can be recovered quite simply.
I am sure that is the case just unallocated but I was at a loss how to get them back. I will make an Aronis Disk director boot disk

yes I accidently did exactly what you said...

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
Well I finally had time this morning to find a program to get at the unallocated part of the hard drive. I use ERUSus partion recovery program and it is back :) Thanks to everyone for your assistance it is always welcome

Upvote 0

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Well I finally had time this morning to find a program to get at the unallocated part of the hard drive. I use ERUSus partion recovery program and it is back :) Thanks to everyone for your assistance it is always welcome
Great glad you figured it out,I will mark this solved.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.