Troubleshoot Can't run msconfig or regedit and start up folder is empty

Exit0girl

Thread author
Jan 13, 2015
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
I went to close quickbooks in the start up menu, but start up folder is empty
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
ran Norton scan and malwarebytes scan with nothing found
Can someone please explain what might be going on with my computer. Thanks so much!

Reactions: Piteko21

Piteko21

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
try run norton power eraser or hitmanpro just in case of be a virus and then run wise care,if its a little problem of course .

then run a chek disck to find errors or something folder corrupted or missed.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 21043

Hi there @Exit0girl,

Before anyone can fully assist you today, we will need the following information:

- What Operating System are you currently running?
- What is the error message when you try to run the files?
- Have you installed anything "new" recently?
- Can you run CMD and Task Manager?

If both CMD and Task Manager cannot be ran, I will put a slight assumption that you may have a malware infection in your hands, and advise you to go to the following link and create a thread for assistance in the MRA: http://malwaretips.com/categories/malware-removal-and-prevention-services.9/

You could also download HitmanPro 3 cloud scanner from the following website: http://www.surfright.nl/en/hitmanpro/
Run a scan with it, you can create a trial once it's opened to enable malware cleaning. It's a very powerful second-opinion cloud scanner and it has been proven to detect a lot.

Cheers. ;)

Upvote 0

Exit0girl

Thread author
Jan 13, 2015
I am sorry for not including info. I am running Windows 7 and for the last 5 hours did not have a command prompt, when I just went into start I now see the command prompt and now can run msconfig and task manager. Why would the command prompt disappear like that and then come back? I am so confused.

Upvote 0

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
I am sorry for not including info. I am running Windows 7 and for the last 5 hours did not have a command prompt, when I just went into start I now see the command prompt and now can run msconfig and task manager. Why would the command prompt disappear like that and then come back? I am so confused.

You should check your windows is up to date, and run some basic on demand scan, like MalwareBytes Antimalware.

Upvote 0

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
You should check your windows is up to date, and run some basic on demand scan, like MalwareBytes Antimalware.
it has nothing to do with windows up to date or not.
usealy the old viruses like bron.tok use to disable regedit tmgr and folder option. so it sure is a good idea to run a scan with msert.exe and mbam

Reactions: Exterminator
Upvote 0

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
it has nothing to do with windows up to date or not.
usealy the old viruses like bron.tok use to disable regedit tmgr and folder option. so it sure is a good idea to run a scan with msert.exe and mbam

Thats your opinion, I'm talking from my own experience. I had windows running for a while with 0 updates and after a while opening task manager was giving me a BSDOS when some software was running in the background. Incompatibility is next to your door when you don't even want to look at it. All chances are behind the hood you want it or not.

Reactions: nissimezra
Upvote 0

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
Thats your opinion, I'm talking from my own experience. I had windows running for a while with 0 updates and after a while opening task manager was giving me a BSDOS when some software was running in the background. Incompatibility is next to your door when you don't even want to look at it. All chances are behind the hood you want it or not.
everything can happen with MS. I do believe you but it might of been compatibility with other program install.
In his case it's a behavior of a virus.
nice weekend.

Upvote 0
I

illumination

As this looks to still be open, the best course of action is to check all items mentioned in this thread, bu systematically going through them.
By this i mean, first scan the system with an on-demand such as MalwareBytes "as mentioned", then if nothing is found, run windows updates and see if any are missing, then open command prompt in "Admin" and type: sfc /scannow
To make sure there is no file system corruption, at this point if all checks out ok, then more and likely you have a conflict with one of your other programs, anything that could have been installed recently.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.