Basic Security Cats4_Owners-2 (Mrs) shared (w/yours truly) Security Configuration 2019

Last updated
Jan 13, 2019
Windows Edition
Home
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
User Access Control
Always notify
Real-time security
  • Avast Free Antivirus Version 19.1.2360 (build 19.1.4142.0)
  • Voodooshield (Untrusted program blocker/whitelist creator)
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
About custom security
Activated: Hardened Mode
Periodic malware scanners
Emsisoft Emergency Kit (accessed from external USB drive)
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Microsoft Edge: LastPass (password manager) uBlock Origin (blocker).
Mozilla Firefox: LastPass, uBlock Origin, HTTPS Everywhere, & Decentraleyes
Vivaldi: LastPass, Adguard Adblocker
Maintenance tools
CCleaner
File and Photo backup
One Drive, Gmail (for text & subscription keys), Google Drive, & External Drives
System recovery
None (presently) other than Windows 7 backup & created restore points
Risk factors
    • Gaming
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
Computer specs
SONY VAIO - VPCEH
Intel Pentium CPU - B950
2.10 GHz
Installed memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Notes by Staff Team
  1. This setup configuration does not have a backup plan. We strongly recommend to add a backup solution for your data so that you can restore it in the case of an emergency.
    Backing up allows the recovery of data that has been lost due of a malware attack (eg. ransomware) or a hard disk crash. In such events you might lose family photos, your music collection, documents, or financial data. Backups are fast and simple to perform so it should be done on a regular basis.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Originally, my wife's Windows 7 (new in 2013) Pink Vaio lap top, now runs a bit hot after a while,
but still operates reliably; and even better in Windows 10!
We keep it in the coldest room in the house. :)

In addition to UAC, VOODOO Shield adds an additional warning when executable programs are activated.

Shadow Defender, & occasionally Sandboxie, provide virtual <RESET> button raincoat(s) for residual cookies, trackers, & any invisible junk possibly missed day to day.

Last edited:

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Thanks for sharing, nice config for sharing between users and the ability to sandbox or virtualize the PC with shadow defender is a nice touch.

For system tools, might want to add OOSU, for saving bandwidth and some pc processes and possibly privacy.

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Thank you, Svoll, for uplifting comments which bring rise to more. I now shall look forward to experiencing the benefits of OOSU!
Much thanks for Your sharing too! :D

Windows 10 Home is quite a different beast itself that it wants to control what it downloads, uploads, and updates regardless of what settings you put and it does not allow you the option to opt out. Without a group policy in home edition, there are some tweaks that must be performed manually if you want to wrestle some control on win10, and that is if you want to =D

Happy Computing!

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Great setup! With VPN's you could try ProtonVPN Free or Windscribe 10GB or 15GB plan.

~LDogg
Thank you, I shall look into both Proton & Windscribe! :)

Please edit config to indicate VoodooShield as real time protection. Have you considered some form of OS hardening like Hard_Configurator, etc.? Nice setup. (y)
I appreciate your mention of Hard_Configurator, and looking toward OS hardening.
Voodooshield's now listed in the correct spot, but I've also noticed (now) there is an update.
Thanks! :D

Please specify exact version number of Avast Free, also add a Backup Plan with a reliable solution: Macrium Reflect Free or AOMEI Backupper.

Thanks for sharing :giggle:

I truly wish I would have used one of these reliable backup solutions...
for my "Old Faithful" Acer lap top which recently shut down (This during a Malwarebytes scan) and, now, cannot be logged onto because of a missing/corrupt log-in program.

Avast's version listing Done, backup solutions forthcoming.
Thanks! :):)

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Nice secure config for a shared PC!
I had a Sony Vaio and had the same problem.
At times it was so hot it should have been called a table top instead of a laptop.

I had a good laugh with this, my Friend! :D

As I'd just posted, the Acer which was new when I'd first joined MalwareTips hasn't been able to heat up lately, although I'm confident it can be revived to sail, once more, the seas of the internet!

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I suggest that a backup program like Macriun Reflect free has already been mentioned. By @harlan4096:giggle:
I may just have a key for their paid version as I prepare to search for the "needle" in that famously frustrating "haystack"! :)
Nice and lite my brother, all ur missing is Macrium, but you know that :p Happy New Year :)

Yes, Happy New Year to You too, my Friend! Macrium, it feels so good to say it!
Santa still hasn't found my address to deliver the external hard drive I wrote him about... ;)
(..but do not blame him if he purposely avoids Los Angeles Helicopter Rush Hour rather than deliver the external hard drive I wrote him about... :X3:)

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.