Cb Defender (by Carbon Black) - Drop You Traditional AV, and Go With Us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebocious

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Oct 25, 2018
Basically they say their built-in technology allows them to block and identify zero-day malware without having the file on their database. Pretty much what heuristic on antimalwares do.
Actually, it's my understanding that the "heuristic analysis" in 1st gen AV products is basically a way of detecting new variants of known samples, by finding a common denominator -- either a recurring sequence of events or string of code shared by a family of viruses. It's a last-ditch effort to avoid imposing upon the user with alerts, by expanding the capabilities of signature-based detection as much as possible.

Problem is, this is still dependent on signatures. So all a malware coder has to do is alter the factor that the heuristics were relying upon, or write a whole, new virus. NGAV, on the other hand, is essentially HIPS with whitelisting. It's nothing new; the main difference is that the product uses a database of known legitimate applications and what they do, and/or scans the system upon installation to compile a database; and then blocks anything new. It's an acknowledgement of the fact that signature-based detection won't cut it anymore.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
No it's not. It's $29 for a single user and $69 for a five user-license.

I got excited thinking CB was going to put out a home-user version. This thread is kind of a buzzkill.

Cylance Smart Antivirus is $29. Protect single license is $60.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
No you cannot try these Next Generation Anti Virus technologies. They don't give out trials often if at all.

Unless you are a medium to large enterprise they don't want to deal with you. They are really picky with customers.

I've been researching Next Generation AV technologies for months. There are so many companies offering this product.

I've tried my hardest to get single licenses to Carbon Black, Crowdstrike, SentinalOne, Tanium etc etc with zero luck.

The only Next Generation AV you can single licenses for is Cylance from re-sellers. I'm about to buy a license myself to test.

I'll give you a license to test. PM me.

overdivine

Level 2
Verified
Aug 21, 2013
enterprise environment no default deny... meh...you will get infected
take top 10-20 security solutions and make a challenge. if the system is compromised in one hour you pay 10k $$$. prepare your wallet. how many will pass.
imo next gen av will be in a few years when ai will be stronger and computing power and default internet speed will be bigger.
also small user base maybe bad ai.
userbase of 2-3 billions, everything running sandboxed, analyzed and sent to the ai, worst scenario only a couple of infections
but someone will still get infected
did i mention not using default-deny in enterprise environment....

Reactions: oldschool

dragongate888

Level 2
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
No testing, no deal. Period. OP has barked the wrong tree. EVEN you have promised a rose garden.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Enterprise products are not meant to be tested by consumers who have no skills and will annoy the support team for idiotic reasons like "hey the GUI fonts and color are ugly, please change it" or "hey your product detect my crack as virus and deleted it, this is scandalous"...

For them, there is Avast and Bit Defender lol

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Thread author
Cylance lost me when they put this creepy guy out there.. If you read between the lines here, you might be a bit uncomfortable. Maybe even as uncomfortable as that creepy guy looks in that suit. Listen close how he talks about Cylance coming together with partnerships in Industry/Govt/Law Enforcement. Also the fact that they have capabilities to 'wield' this technology... He side steps that a bit but doesn't really seem to deny any of it.

Or when he says 'This can't be true, but it is! Cylance is 99.7% accurate at stopping all malware'... :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: oldschool

artek

Level 5
Verified
May 23, 2014
Listen close how he talks about Cylance coming together with partnerships in Industry/Govt/Law Enforcement.

Or when he says 'This can't be true, but it is! Cylance is 99.7% accurate at stopping all malware'... :unsure:

He seems to be referring to his employment history with law enforcement rather than any implicit information sharing between the various organizations.

He didn't say against all malware. There's no possible way any organization could test against all malware. He said a 99.7 percent accuracy against which would be whatever sample set they were using at the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 178
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.