Ccleaner is it safe to download and use again?

• Thread starter ForgottenSeer 55474
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I'll continue using CCleaner because I'm not using it that often and it's not working in background on my PC. I've tried BleachBit and it seems great but I can't change its language to English. Only half (if not less) of program is translated to my language. I have everything on my PC on English, even Windows itself so having mixed languages really annoys me. :LOL:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Well, the way I look at it, we just found out that it was never safe, because they blindly put their certificate on files without even checking them, and then gleefully feed them to millions of people...

Transhumana

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
I'll continue using CCleaner because I'm not using it that often and it's not working in background on my PC. I've tried BleachBit and it seems great but I can't change its language to English. Only half (if not less) of program is translated to my language. I have everything on my PC on English, even Windows itself so having mixed languages really annoys me. :LOL:

Tell me about it! On one of my laptops I have Windows in Croatian and when I first installed it - I was completely lost for couple of days. I'm so used to having it all in English that when I use Croatian version, sometimes it takes a lot to figure out what should I be looking for at all. :D

Speaking of BleachBit, I stumbled across it few days ago in ubuntu repository, but I've never tried it so far on neither OS.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
As per my understanding BleachBit doesn't get updated so often. Last update was 1st July 2016 :oops:

So I don't understand how the software can keep up when all browsers gets updated.
yes true. fortunately, browsers' cache folders usually stay the same in all version. They just change a few things like the installation folders or update folders so old cleaners usually work fine
I noticed google chrome changed their installation folder about very few months ago. This doesn't affect the cache folders because they are in the same place

I think, for the best cleaning result, we should use more updated tools. Bleechbit looks good but a bit outdated
you can try to clean your PC with bleechbit and then, use other tools, such as diskmax, wise disk cleaner, privazer (don't forget to check the settings because the default settings are usually not good enough)

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Tell me about it! On one of my laptops I have Windows in Croatian and when I first installed it - I was completely lost for couple of days. I'm so used to having it all in English that when I use Croatian version, sometimes it takes a lot to figure out what should I be looking for at all. :D

Speaking of BleachBit, I stumbled across it few days ago in ubuntu repository, but I've never tried it so far on neither OS.
Same here. I've used Windows in Croatian few times but that's not it. Especially when there is a problem and error is written on Croatian. It's easier to search for solution when Windows is on English. ;)

Btw I can't believe that Microsoft removed Croatian keyboard layout from Windows 10 installation while Slovenian and Serbian are still there. It's so annoying that I have to use US layout until Windows downloads Croatian. :confused:

Transhumana

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Same here. I've used Windows in Croatian few times but that's not it. Especially when there is a problem and error is written on Croatian. It's easier to search for solution when Windows is on English. ;)

Btw I can't believe that Microsoft removed Croatian keyboard layout from Windows 10 installation while Slovenian and Serbian are still there. It's so annoying that I have to use US layout until Windows downloads Croatian. :confused:

Had no idea about that; if I were you I'd probably use Slovenian or Serbian keyboard layout, because every time I use US layout I make too many typos. :)

I'll probably give Wise Disk Cleaner a chance as well, as I've been happy with their Wise Program Uninstaller.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Thread author

You can download the english only version of Bleachbit...

There is no reason for bleachbit to update so often as the core temp locations don't change on most products. I think we need to get past our fascination with constant updates, if this CCleaner fiasco taught anyone anything!

Also, after you install bleach bit, run it, then go to Preferences, check 'Download and update cleaners from community". Close the app, reopen it, and it will download a hugely improved list of things it can clean. Check everything but CANCEL on any warning windows or you can run into trouble. Now it's awesome.

bleach.png

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Thread author
I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if Ccleaner is safe to download again.

You'd have to be insane to use CCleaner after this - IMO. They've been reverse engineered and worse, allowed their update chain to be hijacked. That's trust that can't be restored. There are plenty of other products out that do just as well, if not better.

Wisecleaner, Glary Pro, Kerish Doctor, Bleachbit, etc.

Also, if you really like CCleaner and insist on it. What I would do is go 1-2 years back in versions and never update it. I recently worked on a machine we manage and found a 3 year old CCleaner. I decided to run it to see, and it worked fine, so I left it alone. There is something to be said about not constantly updating programs in light of recent events.. There is a reason our missile systems in the US run on 8" Floppy Disks.

L S

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
You'd have to be insane to use CCleaner after this - IMO. They've been reverse engineered and worse, allowed their update chain to be hijacked. That's trust that can't be restored. There are plenty of other products out that do just as well, if not better.

Wisecleaner, Glary Pro, Kerish Doctor, Bleachbit, etc.
....... You think this programs can't be hacked ....... like we All have been thinking that CCleaner can't be hacked ....... (all is the same story, toooo ).

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.