Ccleaner question....

Status
Not open for further replies.

acme

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 29, 2012
Does the '1 pass' setting for deleting files enough for removal? Number 3 setting is much slower. I read where the '3' pass was overkill.... :huh:

Thanks

:)

D

Deleted member 178

do you think you have sensitive files that should be kept out of reach from FBI, KGB, NSA, Men In Black and Chuck Norris? if yes 3 passes is necessary if not 1 passs is enough.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
When ever I need to do people's machine I always do more that, I do 35 passes. :D

softwareFREEk

Level 1
Verified
Dec 27, 2012
@acme I agree with Umbra Corp. even Maxwell Smart should only need to use one pass..

keep smilin.. :)

acme

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 29, 2012
Umbra Corp. said:
do you think you have sensitive files that should be kept out of reach from FBI, KGB, NSA, Men In Black and Chuck Norris? if yes 3 passes is necessary if not 1 passs is enough.

Thanks, I'm worried about the 'Obama' thing :rolleyes:

;)

softwareFREEk

Level 1
Verified
Dec 27, 2012
acme said:
Umbra Corp. said:

Thanks, I'm worried about the 'Obama' thing :rolleyes:

;)

this Obama thing?
The president gave an exclusive interview to “Meet the Press” during which he said that he will put his “full weight” behind the gun ban effort, and that he would like to accomplish this ban during the first year of his second term, meaning sometime in 2013? ouch!! lol

I think that some people believe that numerous passes are necessary to irrecoverably delete files, one pass should be fine unless of course you are disposing of your hard drive, in which case you can also perform a full erase of all the data on the drive. :rolleyes:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What about the use of powerful magnets (to destroy the HDD), or is that just a myth?

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
softwareFREEk said:
I think that some people believe that numerous passes are necessary to irrecoverably delete files, one pass should be fine unless of course you are disposing of your hard drive, in which case you can also perform a full erase of all the data on the drive. :rolleyes:

Also comes down to personal preference. I do it the maximum number of times you can clean for. Does the job for me. :)

I

illumination

On one pass, there is a very good chance a recovery program can retrieve the file after deletion. If it is files you would rather not have retrieved, then i would suggest upping the passes.

I

illumination

Earth said:
What about the use of powerful magnets (to destroy the HDD), or is that just a myth?

It would take a very strong magnet for today's drives, but not impossible. I for one would rather not experiment this with my system! :D

softwareFREEk

Level 1
Verified
Dec 27, 2012
illumination said:
On one pass, there is a very good chance a recovery program can retrieve the file after deletion. If it is files you would rather not have retrieved, then i would suggest upping the passes.

I have used Ccleaner for many many years now and would not be without it, if we are deleting files to remove/replace the drive? then yes I agree with more than one pass and then would not use Ccleaner for this task, there are so many good software programs that can securely delete data, so this may be a new thread to obtain input from other members of their preferences? what do you all think?

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
softwareFREEk said:
I have used Ccleaner for many many years now and would not be without it, if we are deleting files to remove/replace the drive? then yes I agree with more than one pass and then would not use Ccleaner for this task, there are so many good software programs that can securely delete data, so this may be a new thread to obtain input from other members of their preferences? what do you all think?

The best way to surely delete all your data from your PC is to format it and start from scratch. :p

softwareFREEk

Level 1
Verified
Dec 27, 2012
McLovin said:
softwareFREEk said:

The best way to surely delete all your data from your PC is to format it and start from scratch. :p

obviously after you have copied all of your data that you want to retain to another HDD or SSD right lol :)

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
softwareFREEk said:
obviously after you have copied all of your data that you want to retain to another HDD or SSD right lol :)

In that case, it's called a backup. :)

N

Nige_40

I run CCleaner on max 35 Passes, and I always have.

What I do I run Clean Browser data first within Dragon, Then I open up PrivaZer and press Clean on My Internet traces in 1 Click!, and when it comes to shutting down PC I run CCleaner then I open it up on taskbar and select shutdown after Clean.

So that way I know my machine is clean, ready for the next cold start-up

Going back to PrivaZer I run a full scan and Select Clean every Sunday so that my system tip top.

So that is my Personal Preference

:)

I

illumination

Here is an example to determine how many passes one would want to use with Ccleaner.
I do a lot of photo editing, and of course there are many times, i want to tidy up my system and keep it from being bogged down with unnecessary clutter, i will organize the photos and delete the ones i do not want, after sending them to the recycle bin, i will run Ccleaner on one pass.. Every great once in awhile, i get ahead of myself and accidentally delete one i did not mean too. I can now use a program like Recuva, to recover that picture that was only written over once with Ccleaner, and so far, have been able to recover every one of them i deleted with no problems. Now with those pictures or file's i would rather not be able to grab so easily again, I up the passes, and have tried just for arguments sake, to recover them, and can not, they will not be intact. So if your whole purpose of deleting something, is to get rid of it for good, i would recommend more then one pass.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Many say one pass is enough and many say no it's not enough.

I myself am not to sure on the subject as I don't use any passes, I've tried it for sake and of course the more passes you use the longer the cleaning process.

Google search "is one pass enough?" and read the related articles and other forums discussing the subject.

Disk Wiping One Pass Is Enough (With Screenshots)

Overwriting Hard Drive Data: The Great Wiping Controversy

Data Destruction: Is One Pass Overwriting Enough?

Plenty more pages on Google to look it.

When it comes to me wanting to permanently wipe data so it can never be looked at again forget any software.

Industrial strength magnets, welder's torch, sledge hammer, barrels of sulfuric acid and nitric acid, And what ever remains are left will be buried 6 feet under out in the middle of the Australian outback. Thanks. /s

I

illumination

MrXidus said:
When it comes to me wanting to permanently wipe data so it can never be looked at again forget any software.

Industrial strength magnets, welder's torch, sledge hammer, barrels of sulfuric acid and nitric acid, And what ever remains are left will be buried 6 feet under out in the middle of the Australian outback. Thanks. /s

LOL, you sure all that would do it? ;):D

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
illumination said:
MrXidus said:

LOL, you sure all that would do it? ;):D

Of course not that's just my minimalistic approach to secure data wiping, I cannot tell you my full method, Never know who is watching what information you reveal online.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.