None
File and Photo backup
OneDrive
System recovery
Duplicati
Computer specs
https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ASUS-ZenBook-Pro-UX550VE/
Notes by Staff Team
  1. This setup configuration does not have a backup plan. We strongly recommend to add a backup solution for your data so that you can restore it in the case of an emergency.
    Backing up allows the recovery of data that has been lost due of a malware attack (eg. ransomware) or a hard disk crash. In such events you might lose family photos, your music collection, documents, or financial data. Backups are fast and simple to perform so it should be done on a regular basis.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Important aspect(s) to have for your config:
  • Make sure UAC is set to always notify
  • Using backup software such as Macrium Reflect (this can be put onto a USB or hard drive) - also put consideration into the fact you use Onedrive
Other optional picks:
  • Netcraft web extension for phishing
  • Trace web extension alongside Privacy Possum
The rest looks great!

~LDogg

Thread author
Important aspect(s) to have for your config:
  • Make sure UAC is set to always notify
  • Using backup software such as Macrium Reflect (this can be put onto a USB or hard drive) - also put consideration into the fact you use Onedrive
Other optional picks:
  • Netcraft web extension for phishing
  • Trace web extension alongside Privacy Possum
The rest looks great!

~LDogg
I set my UAC to "Always Notify" and will look into using a backup software. Netcraft seems unnecessary as Adguard alreadys protect me from phishing. Also, I used Trace and even purchased a license, but it seemed to overkill. Thanks for the feedback!

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Man just install a backup program :D Why reinstall Windows 10? Restoring a backup takes 5-10 min on an SSD. Especially with 1809. I have tried to reinstall and it actually ended up more broken than before and I was irritated that I had to go back to an old backup after wasting 3 hours to reinstall twice!

Thread author
Why wipe drive & reinstall windows every 2 month if there’s no indication of an infection? Sounds unnecessarily proactive
I like keeping my OS fresh, but it is more of a placebo to be honest.
I would still take a look Netcraft as it's the best extension out there for Phishing. Adguard doesn't block much compared to Netcraft based on my personal tests.

~LDogg
Netcraft not being open source is the deal breaker for me.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Wouldn't see how, they;'re a company that's local to me. Very high rates of catching phishing sites out and blocking them. Sometimes you have to let the privacy thing go.

~LDogg

Reactions: bayasdev and 37507

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.