CF Sandboxing w/cs OR Sandboxie

Do you use Sandboxing as part of your PC security arsenal, and which program do you use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
I have read much on this site about CF with cs settings using its Sandbox, and about Sandboxie.

I have even used both at one time but it starts to become confusing in regards to the most effective use of a program that sandboxes malware or other exploits and which one to use.

My question is which would be most effective: sandbox as needed using CF/cs or sandbox full-time using Sandboxie against the latest exploits or malware?

Duotone

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Been using SANDBOXIE for 4 years now for browser protection and privacy, program testing, and installation(games,audio soft).

With SBIE you have to manually add program/files to run in a sandbox if you add a folder(ex:download)/drive everything in it will run inside the sandbox.

On the other hand CF once configured(CS setting) monitors process and automatically runs any suspicious file/program sandbox.

In the end it a matter of preference both are great additional protection.

Last edited:

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I ran sandboxie for many years, but stopped about the time it was bought by invincea (sp?) I just bought and tried sbie 5.20 and it was problematic either because of my KIS_2017 (now KIS_2018) or browser is chrome. Did not take the time to hunt down the conflict to see if I could fix it, and uninstalled sbie. I have recently used cf10@cs and concluded it worked better for me than sandboxie even when I had sandboxie working optimally in the past. But agree both good, whatever works best on your system.

EDIT maybe the problem was running in SUA? but if you have to run sbie in admin acct that seems like a disadvantage. but not sure what the issue was here...

Last edited:

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Interesting note is using download managers with Sandboxie. I use IDM, and whenever I attempted to download a file via IDM, the file was downloaded by IDM outside of the Sandboxed browser that I was using. Sandboxie did not contain the download. I tried forcing the program, IDM to run in the Sandbox but the same thing happened. I even tried disabling the Immediate and Quick Recovery settings to no avail.

The only method that worked was using my browser's own internal download manager which Sandboxie contained as well. When using Sandboxie, one needs to be aware if any external program interacting with the browser and the web, such as a download manager, will or will not be sandboxed. One might forget, and accidentally run a malware.

On the other hand, if one were to use CF/cs, the sandboxing is automatic based on behavior if I understand its working correctly. That being said, I may go back.

Once again, there is no 100% as every security program has its plus and minuses. Regardless, one must still use common sense and the famous program Brain.exe.

Knowing this, what have you all used as a substitute for the sandboxing approach?

I am using a trial of F-Secure AV which I have read is very light and not bloated, and has a good BB. I am thinking of teaming it up with CF/cs again or if I keep Sandboxie, I will just use a Sandboxed browser for browsing only. Downloads I want to keep, I will use another browser but I think this may defeat the purpose of what I am trying to accomplish.

Thoughts?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I ran sandboxie for many years, but stopped about the time it was bought by invincea (sp?) I just bought and tried sbie 5.20 and it was problematic either because of my KIS_2017 (now KIS_2018) or browser is chrome. Did not take the time to hunt down the conflict to see if I could fix it, and uninstalled sbie. I have recently used cf10@cs and concluded it worked better for me than sandboxie even when I had sandboxie working optimally in the past. But agree both good, whatever works best on your system.
Sandboxie plays nicely with KIS 2018, and it runs Chrome without issue.
Sandboxie is able to run a greater variety of apps in sandbox, and is more seamless and customizable. But to really get the proper Sandboxie experience, you need the paid version (so that you have forced programs and forced folders)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I'd first learned about, and used,
Sandboxie
upon first becoming a member here on MalwareTips.
It was originally developed by a gentleman named Ronen Tzur to address the vulnerabilities present in Windows IE hence Sandbox-IE.o_O :cool:
Having also learned about alternatives such as Comodo's Firewall w/auto sandbox & Shadow Defender, I've used and happily recommend each because, in most applications, they work. Sandboxie had been my long time favorite, while it's notices can seem a bit inconvenient, usually (as UAC in Windows) most times they represent actions user initiated w/the advantage being sandbox containment. SBIE does not function currently on my wife's newer HP lap top, yet as @simmerskool, I've not moved to track down the reason(s) why which is the nature of software with hardware, & reflects no lack in the (overall) consistant reliability of either. I was very pleased
tonibalas mentioned

Shadow Defender

although I do not malware test, it's a remarkable <reset> button that's simpler than a "sandbox". It has been seamless and (from my own experiences) the most user friendly of all choices mentioned above. "Shadow Mode" has become my family's alternative of choice, the main advantage being that it protects the master boot record (MBR) the boot sector at the very beginning of partitioned computer mass storage devices (Wikipedia).;)

@SearchLight, thank you for beginning this thread! After reading the posts thus far I've another (nearly forgotten) choice, and shall be revisiting Comodo's firewall w/auto sandbox ..which will subsequently disappear if I do it in Shadow Mode,
lol!:D

Last edited:

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
CF is good malware prevention, but if you want to run an app sandboxed, it can be a pain to get working. In that case, Sandboxie or Shadow Defender is quite easy.
One thing to note... Sandboxie gives you the ability to shred traces of your sandboxed adventure, leaving your HDD much cleaner of file residues than either CF or SD. Having said that, I'd rec 3rd party tools to securely erase the Sandbox file structure (the built-in Sandboxie erasing leaves much to be desired).

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Sandboxie plays nicely with KIS 2018, and it runs Chrome without issue.
Sandboxie is able to run a greater variety of apps in sandbox, and is more seamless and customizable. But to really get the proper Sandboxie experience, you need the paid version (so that you have forced programs and forced folders)

I was using paid v5.20 the other day. I don't recall exactly what the malfunction was, but having used sbie for many years in past, it was snafu'd here for whatever reason :oops: PS kis_2018 installed smoothly over 2017 following kis instructions, but then discovered that _2018 had killed my vpn (now fixed). I'll probably try sbie again on this hardware, but not urgent issue for me. If I get the urge, I'll PM you, if I run into sbie issues again. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.