Advice Request CFW with this 'Partially Limited' bug with UAC ON ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
I use CFW on a Win 10 64 bit computer. Never had a trouble. Even with UAC set at "Always Notify". But that's just from my experience. You may have had another experience compared to myself.

~LDogg

floalma

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Apr 5, 2015
With UAC completely ON, Comodo runs everything as 'Partial Limited', even if you set up with Restricted.
Have you checked if this is still occurred ?

I use CFW on a Win 10 64 bit computer. Never had a trouble. Even with UAC set at "Always Notify". But that's just from my experience. You may have had another experience compared to myself.

~LDogg

Reactions: oldschool

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Comodo has so many bugs, new and old, that you can never really be sure it is doing what it is supposed to do. It makes me nervous. I don't feel comfortable relying on Comodo alone.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
F- On Win10, even if you set UAC at Never Notify (you can set it at this- I do) you will get intrinsic protection of Windows System files. This is a wonderful thing and is a reaction to system wiping malware like that used to take down the C&C points in Ukraine.

Shmu- Odd that I never encountered one...

floalma

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Apr 5, 2015
@cruelsister
Great! I will try it. 'Never notifiy' is like disabled UAC. Are you really sure it will protect windows system files with UAC never notify ?
What do you mean by 'used to take down the C&C points in Ukraine.' ?

Last edited:
Reactions: oldschool and AtlBo

floalma

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Apr 5, 2015
According to Microsoft:
"The slider will never turn UAC completely off. If you set it to Never notify, it will:
  • Keep the UAC service running.
  • Cause all elevation request initiated by administrators to be auto-approved without showing a UAC prompt.
  • Automatically deny all elevation requests for standard users."

How User Account Control works (Windows 10)

So, if I want to run an app under my Standard user account that needs Admin privileges, I won't be able to do it. :confused:

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Are you really sure it will protect windows system files with UAC never notify ?

Absolutely. At one time I wrote such System wiping malware myself: Malware scan of cruelsister's rootkit magic.exe (Rootkit Magic) 50a0d052e9e042bac9c09a9ce8b279dd5b47ab82 - herdProtect

I can assure you that Win10 protects.

Almost forgot- CF will alert to a file trying to get Elevated privileges, so this duplicates the UAC prompt.
And about Ukraine- Russia sent out a simple (like mine) KillDisk to wipe out system files on the C&C systems.

Last edited:

floalma

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Apr 5, 2015
You wrote a malware, genius !
Do you mean that despite the UAC off, I will be able to launch any software from my Standard account that require Admin privileges due to the CF alert ?

[QUOTE="cruelsister, post: 757468, member: 7463"
I can assure you that Win10 protects.
Almost forgot- CF will alert to a file trying to get Elevated privileges, so this duplicates the UAC prompt.
[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.