Cheap but capable USB hard drive enclosure?

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Hello friends. Any suggestions for a cheap but capable USB hard drive enclosure to retrieve some data? Some of my data missed making on to my backup (maybe user error :rolleyes:) and I'd like to get it back. Prices and models range from high to low. I just want to get the job done. Thanks in advance for any tips.

Last edited:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
oldschool, I got my enclosure for $19.95 plus tax at MicroCenter for a 3.5 inch repurposed Western Digital Blue HDD and it's first and foremost simply to function as an on-demand storage drive outside my really ugly computer for better airflow. Far as I know, it only receives data, not retrieves data and it stays offline the vast majority of the time. Could you clarify: you want to manually move the data your backup missed onto your future enclosed hard drive? I'm not sure what you mean by "retrieving" your data.

One general observation about my cheap aluminum enclosure:. I run it with the sleeve partially off, that thing gets mighty warm. :mad:

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
clarify: you want to manually move the data your backup missed onto your future enclosed hard drive? I'm not sure what you mean by "retrieving" your data.

I want to get data from my HDD (from trashed PC) to my new PC. I did some research and HowToGeek has a little free app called "Take Ownership" to use if needed for the transfer.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Oh, so your computer went on the fritz! Wow, OK. Well, if there's no room to plug your old HDD into your new PC, yeah, an enclosure would be great. I have a cheap but competent Vantec NexStar enclosure but then again, it's used very little. If it's plugged in, the contents are easily accessible, in this case, it's a Macrium image. So, yes your new machine should simply be able to read it and the contents be accessible just like it was an internal drive. Hopefully, you can just drag and drop without a middleman app--if you're running as an Administrator, I've never had to do anything take-ownership-ish to access my stuff on another drive.

drives.PNG

mojaveron

Level 1
Verified
Nov 27, 2013
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Here is one I use.

This looks like a very nice option, even simpler than mine! I may have to pick one of these up, for $9.00 you can't go wrong and overall seems to be very well rated/liked based on the reviews.(y)

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
I really like this option: Amazon.com: Sabrent USB 3.0 to SATA External Hard Drive Lay-Flat Docking Station with Built-in Cooling Fan for 2.5 or 3.5in HDD, SSD [Support UASP and 6TB] (EC-DFFN): Gateway

Granted the Sabrent USB 3.0 to SATA External Hard Drive Lay-Flat Docking Station with Built-in Cooling Fan for 2.5 or 3.5in HDD, SSD [Support UASP and 6TB] (EC-DFFN) is a little pricey at $24.99, but the added fan is nice. I wouldn't recommend keeping the lid closed for extended use at all.

Slightly off topic from cheap:

I personally use a Thermaltake Max 5G Active Cooling Hard Drive Enclosure with Two 80mm Blue LED Fans USB 3.0 5.0Gbps ST0020U for my external hard drives. However, the price point on that bad boy is expensive. I got mine on a Black Friday sale for a good price, but the normal price is quite high. I'm unsure if the Max 5G is still being sold or not... In either case, my HDDs stay nice and cold in these bad boys.

~Brian

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.