Advice Request Cheaper alternative to Appcheck Pro? Suggestions is welcome!

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

nclr11111

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 25, 2011
So i´ve been trying maaany security sw over the years due to interest is different solutions and combinations.
Since a year or so my interest has cooled off, much thanks to the increase in time i have to put into my work. So now i´m more looking for a good, low maintenance, "compatible with most" setup.

I´ve been using KTS+AppCheck Pro the last year and it suits me well. But now, as it´s time to renew my AppCheck license i think they´ve gone a bit pricey at $24:95/year for license renewal of a single PC. Therefor i´m asking you here if there are any other antiransomware that performs as good but have better priceing?

And please don´t suggest CFW. I know it´s good and i have been using i for years but it´s not suited for my needs today and certainly not low maintenance with good combatibility! (Yeah i know you can do alot tweaking in configuration! :) )
My goal is to find an antiransomware that performs good in combination with KTS.

If there are none i guess i just continue with AppCheck Free, but thought i´d check here first.

//NcLr

Reactions: shmu26

nclr11111

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 25, 2011
you absolutely do not need any anti-ransomware with KTS, it's a waste of money and resources.
Hmm, hasn´t KTS more of a preventive setup w/o any possibilitis to revert encryption once occured? That´s one of the neat things i like with AppCheck, but hey i can be very mistaken...

Also i thought of adding Kaspersky Anti-Ransomware Tool for Business since it´s free. But i´m not sure if it´s a good addition or not. Have you or anyone else tested it?

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
Hmm, hasn´t KTS more of a preventive setup w/o any possibilitis to revert encryption once occured? That´s one of the neat things i like with AppCheck, but hey i can be very mistaken...

Also i thought of adding Kaspersky Anti-Ransomware Tool for Business since it´s free. But i´m not sure if it´s a good addition or not. Have you or anyone else tested it?
KTS can revert encrypted files if it protected your shadow volume properly.
i honestly never was really afraid of ransomware, any proper dynamic module caught them since they were so obvious

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
You don't need a separate antiransomware program. Just do this:
1 Apply a couple easy tweaks to KIS. You can start by going into Application Control Settings, and unticking "trust digitally signed applications".
2 Set up a backup plan for yourself.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Hum... System Watcher not always reverts all files, in fact it only protects some areas of the system, probably (because We don't have any clear and exhaustive info about the protected folders) only some user space ones, but not applications ones...

That's why I recommend to add similar rules like explained here: How to protect against file-encrypting malware (cryptoware) in Kaspersky Internet Security 2015

In my system I apply a variant one, protecting full folders (not only some types of files) where I have my docs and other files...

nclr11111

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 25, 2011
Hum... System Watcher not always reverts all files, in fact it only protects some areas of the system, probably (because We don't have any clear and exhaustive info about the protected folders) only some user space ones, but not applications ones...

That's why I recommend to add similar rules like explained here: How to protect against file-encrypting malware (cryptoware) in Kaspersky Internet Security 2015

In my system I apply a variant one, protecting full folders (not only some types of files) where I have my docs and other files...
Will check out!

Kind of happy if i can reduce my protection to just one SW. I know it won´t be Fort Knox but since i don´t do any live sample testing anymore on any of my benches i think it´ll be enough for everyday surf...

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
So now i´m more looking for a good, low maintenance, "compatible with most" setup......…..! :) )
//NcLr

I´m never lucky CS! :)
So give a recommendation to a unlucky guy that don´t involve CFW!

What's complicated about CFW w/ CS settings? and what is it not compatible with - for your needs? For me it has become set and forget.... but that's just me.

nclr11111

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 25, 2011
Just common sense :unsure:;)
Roger that!
I´ll uninstall my securitySW and roll with common sense V1.0! :p

After looking at the vids provided by CS i somehow got the feeling that CS is not very fond of Kaspersky at all! :ROFLMAO:

@oldschool : Configured it many times but it always seems to interfer with something, a printer, a game etc. It has never been "set an forget" for me. On the other hand it has never been big problems and always fixable. Just don´t wan´t to spend my time with that sort of issues any more. That´s all.

D

Deleted member 65228

Why on earth would you need Kaspersky Internet Security and Comodo Firewall? Kaspersky Internet Security already has a Firewall component and it also has the Application Control.

Use Kaspersky Internet Security or something else with/alone Comodo Firewall.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.