Security News Check your router – list of routers affected by VPNFilter just got bigger (date: 11 Jun 2018)

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
The VPNFilter router malware, a giant-sized IoT botnet revealed two weeks ago, just went from bad to somewhat worse.

Originally thought to affect 15-20 mostly home/Soho routers and NAS devices made by Linksys, MikroTik, Netgear, TP-Link, and QNAP, this has now been expanded to include at least another 56 from Asus, D-Link, Huawei, Ubiquiti, UPVEL, and ZTE.

Talos gets this information by trying to determine the models on which VPNFilter has been detected but given the size of that job (affected devices number at least 500,000, probably more) the list is unlikely to be complete.

The updated alert confirms that VPNFilter has the ability to carry out man-in-the-middle interception of HTTP/S web traffic (something that SophosLabs own investigation of the malware concluded was highly likely), which means that it is not only able to monitor traffic and capture credentials but potentially deliver exploits to network devices too.

Home routers have become a big target but malware able to infect so many of them is relatively rare. The last home router scare of this multi-vendor magnitude was probably DNSChanger which took years for anyone to notice, having first emerged in 2007.

As VPNFilter is more potent – there doesn’t seem to be a simple way to detect it for a start – the safest assumption is that owners of any home router from one of the affected vendors should take immediate precautions.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Exactly Weebara, these ISPs don't manufacture anything so good for you for looking into it and SumTingWong and CyberTech, even if it has a brand name, dig a little deeper, the actual manufacturer could be different.

I just chat with my Internet Service Provider, and the manufacturer of G1100 router is Greenwave, so I guess my router is not affected VPNFilter malware.

MeltdownEnemy

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
The zeroday malware goes to a step beyond that the conventional security, then, what recommend steps we will take to protect our families and friends in this scenario, if there are no patches-firmware for motherboard and routers? our computing devices look like bitches or prostitutes of exploit with many security holes. that's why I have an high paranoia about zeroday-exploits, I don't keep anything important on my computer. The important thing is offline in the other computer isolated of internet, online purchases are through phone calls. that's all folks!

Reactions: Daviworld

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
I will try to find out what mine is via my ISP's website but they are not exactly forthcoming and usually hide all relevant/important information in a deep dark hole somewhere.

Well, I thought the manufacturer of my ISP provided router G1100 is Actiontec, but not until I chat with them today that the manufacturer of the G1100 router I am using right now is Greenwave.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.