Chinese Intelligence Agencies Are Doctoring the Country's Vulnerability Database

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Chinese Intelligence Agencies Are Doctoring the Country's Vulnerability Database
bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/: Chinese Intelligence Agencies Are Doctoring the Country's Vulnerability Database
By
Catalin Cimpanu - March 10, 2018
China-photoshop.jpg

Chinese intelligence agencies are doctoring the Chinese National Vulnerabilities Database (CNNVD) to hide security flaws that government hackers might have an interest in, according to a report released on Friday by US threat intelligence firm Recorded Future.

The US company says it noticed in recent months mass edits to the CNNVD website. Recorded Future says CNNVD operators have been backdating the publication dates for hundreds of vulnerabilities.

Backdating started after a previous Recorded Future report
The backdating operations started after the publication of a Recorded Future report in November last year in which Recorded Future described how CNNVD delays the disclosure of critical bugsto give Chinese cyber intelligence agencies the time to evaluate the operational utility of said vulnerabilities.

Recorded Future has been taking snapshots of the CNNVD website in the past year and has detected backdating edits to at least 267 critical vulnerabilities.

For example, the publication data of CVE-2016-10136, a vulnerability in the Adups firmwareincluded with many smartphones has been backdated 235 days, while the Office CVE-2017-0199 vulnerability has been backdated 57 days.

Backdating done to hide "vulnerability evaluation" program
"CNNVD’s manipulation of its vulnerability publication data ultimately reveals more than it conceals," the Recorded Future team says.

"First, the selective backdating of vulnerability publication for the outliers is essentially a tacit confirmation from CNNVD of their vulnerability evaluation program and the operational use of some delayed vulnerabilities.

"Second, while many think of the MSS (Ministry of State Security) as primarily a foreign intelligence service, it also has a large, and arguably more important, domestic intelligence mandate."

Recorded Future analysts argue that the delay in disclosure and backdating of critical flaws were most likely carried out to hide security flaws from local companies, those expected to rely on the database for daily patching operations. This was done to aid surveillance of Chinese internal entities.

Nonetheless, experts now believe that because of the new backdating practice, foreign cyber intelligence agencies will have a harder time in spotting the critical flaws that MSS and its hackers are evaluating and pondering for their cyber arsenal. This will make preparing countermeasures much harder for foreign states.

In its November report, Recorded Future also revealed that CNNVD was housed in the same building as China’s Ministry of State Security (MSS), and was most likely under its firm control.

The US cyber intelligence firm had previously revealed that MSS was in charge of China's international hacking efforts, and was commanding Chinese-linked APT groups through government contractors —such as APT3.

Chinese officials have also recently banned Chinese security researchers from attending a foreign security conference, hoping to keep them from disclosing security flaws to western firms.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
@Elantris, I depend on @Prorootect to bring me news that I may not see or here otherwise in the mainstream media. I may not find every post interesting, (I like 99% of them Prorootect :notworthy:) but I would sorely miss his posts if he stopped sharing them.

Last edited:

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
OMG I AM SOO SHOCKED! Since when is this an actual news?! Ok Fine they found the proof of it happening but honestly is that a news to anyone...the same can be said to Russia and US ...but Russia and US delays their own software...which is mostly made in Russia and US while China just copies and ads their own stamp on it.
Yes I agree with Elantris, that this news is nothing new from communist Chinese government, but it is good to talk about these schemes as often as possible, to bring them out in the open. And if we have proof of their bad behaviour, then we must speak out loud about it, precisely to denounce this bad behaviour.
We are not naive: surely Russia is also plotting, and we have to talk about this every time, if we find the evidence...
That everyone knows (and we already know!), how the communist government imprisons and mistreats their people, always lying to them, of course. Poor Chinese peoples. By exposing the schemes of rulers we help the people.
And we all know, and denounce the theft of whole world intellectual property by China's rulers.
Bad actors' bad behavior must always be denounced, sure. The truth will set us free!

John 8:32 - "Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Ah Elantris you want, that news would be news only and not repetition of things known to everyone, or propaganda - I would also be in favour of it!
But big news websites employ journalists who would like to earn as much as possible.... everything is for money, unfortunately... and for politics, propaganda.
The choice on the web is tremendous, there is freedom even though it's too often suppressed by eliminating opposition views (read: right-wing...look on twitter, YouTube, Facebook bad examples), at the end you can find what you like, and do not visit where you don't like it...I'm well vaccinated against propaganda I think....and you?;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.