Chinese Internet Users Forced to Reveal Real Names When Posting Online

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Thread author
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Remaining anonymous while browsing the web in China is a concept that’s pretty much dead, as the country has just released new regulations that would require Internet users to reveal their real names when posting comments online.

Until now, users were forced to disclose their identity when connecting to a number of popular services like WeChat, Weibo, and use mobile phone numbers, but with this new set of rules, forums and smaller services would have to enforce the same requirement as well.

Quartz writes that according to the new regulations, websites and services would have to investigate any user who might be using a fake identity and store all the data for government inspection should it be required.

Users posting comments online are not allowed to oppose the principles of China’s constitution or damage the national honor and interests, the new rules state. Furthermore, spreading rumors or disrupting social order is also forbidden, and so is inciting national hatred and undermining national unity.

Read more: Chinese Internet Users Forced to Reveal Real Names When Posting Online

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
It's a fact many of us actually use Facebook or another social networks that demand your real name, but that's not an excuse to be forced to quit anonimity on every forum/website online. One may want to use Facebook and unlink it from search engines and every other redirection and still stay, pretty much, anonymous on other sites.

Reactions: Weebarra

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
good move!

Why do you say that ?

I certainly don't think it is a good move, many forums/websites actually discourage you from using your real name when it is in public view ,yes, the website owners may have your real name and i believe this is ok as long as other users don't see you real name (if that is your wish) by using your real name and if your location is visible to others, then you could be traced with just a few details and what else could this lead to :eek:

Like @Winter Soldier has already pointed out, lots of people on social media are very flippant about posting details which they think do real harm. I have very little knowledge when it comes to security but even i know that this is so stupid, photos of children perhaps in school uniform which are usually identifiable by a school badge, tie etc and all it takes it some underhand person to go to the school and speak to the child, saying they are a friend of "mummys" and offer to take them home or follow them and then they have your address to.

Ooops, so sorry, i went on a bit of a tangent there and got slightly off topic, i apologise for that.

P.S. - My name is not Weebarra and nor do i look like one, lol.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Why do you say that ?

I certainly don't think it is a good move, many forums/websites actually discourage you from using your real name when it is in public view ,yes, the website owners may have your real name and i believe this is ok as long as other users don't see you real name (if that is your wish) by using your real name and if your location is visible to others, then you could be traced with just a few details and what else could this lead to :eek:

Like @Winter Soldier has already pointed out, lots of people on social media are very flippant about posting details which they think do real harm. I have very little knowledge when it comes to security but even i know that this is so stupid, photos of children perhaps in school uniform which are usually identifiable by a school badge, tie etc and all it takes it some underhand person to go to the school and speak to the child, saying they are a friend of "mummys" and offer to take them home or follow them and then they have your address to.

Ooops, so sorry, i went on a bit of a tangent there and got slightly off topic, i apologise for that.

P.S. - My name is not Weebarra and nor do i look like one, lol.
I'm fully agree with you ;)

Entreri

Level 7
Verified
May 25, 2015
Wow, China is really becoming crappy. That is on top of horrendous pollution problems.

No thanks.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.