Choose a good free AV. So easy and so difficult

S

Sr. Normal

Thread author
I, until yesterday, was a fanboy of Qihoo. I always installed as I could, in XP, w7, w8, Virtual Machine ... and I have always defended it of the attacks received.

After what happened lately , I find myself looking for a new AV for my computer. I received excellent recommendations from some of you and nothing comes to convince me at all.

The only thing I have in my configuracióm clear is that it will be Comodo Firewall and Crystal Security.

I've narrowed the list to four candidates : Avira, AVG, Panda and Badiu.

Avira
: I really like it, but it bothers me greatly that continually want to activate the Windows firewall. If you do not, you seem to have a problem. If one day it would show me a problem, it would not matter to me, because always see the icon on alert.

AVG is the most comfortable to work ( for me). I find it very pleasant to move through menus, but according to various tests is the least protected from the list.

Panda: its philosophy is the opposite to what I 'm used. It seems self-sufficient , is ... quiet ?, certainly an excellent AV, but so different from what I 'm used. I do not quite feel comfortable.

Badiu: apparently has the best qualities, but then look at the different tests have been made and could not be more contradictory.

There are other good options, but some because I do not feel comfortable as Avast , others because I feel that something is missing Adaware , others because I've never understood as CIS (sorry @yigido ), and others because I don't want to experience as Avetix, UnThreat, Roboscan ...

And you, what are your experiences?

sonylxn

Level 4
Verified
Jan 26, 2015
why don't you stay with 360ts? in my opinion, yesterday's cases doesn't change its effectiveness..
but if you really want to try another product, i'd say avg or yes, avast

S

Sr. Normal

Thread author
why don't you stay with 360ts? in my opinion, yesterday's cases doesn't change its effectiveness..
but if you really want to try another product, i'd say avg or yes, avast
ThanI feel a bit cheated , they have lost credibility ( for me) and I think it's time to look for other solutions . And believe me , it pains me , but I think they must realize that they must not act so
If not AVG give Avira a go.
Thanks friend , It is a classic, a great and is always there
I fully agree with you except AVG.
Why not , friend ?

Reactions: frogboy

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
If you're comfortable with Qihoo stay with it. At the end of the day it comes down to what you're comfortable with. Besides, after reading Qihoo's response to AV-C's censorship, the matter is not as cut and dry as it appeared on the surface of the allegations. There is culpability on both sides, Qihoo's & AV-C's.

S

Sr. Normal

Thread author
If you're comfortable with Qihoo stay with it. At the end of the day it comes down to what you're comfortable with. Besides, after reading Qihoo's response to AV-C's censorship, the matter is not as cut and dry as it appeared on the surface of the allegations. There is culpability on both sides, Qihoo's & AV-C's.
It really would be most comfortable. But I am surprised that a company publicly accused his client of fraud if not quite certain what it says. Thanks @aztony

Reactions: aztony

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I have to say, none of the above offer substantial protection. In todays world, whether people like it or not, free does 'not' offer great protection, most come bundled with PUP's and toolbars. Why not buy a descent internet security suite, one that you know will stop the nasty malware i.e., ransomware and other cryptolocker viruses, avira certainly won't.

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
It really would be most comfortable. But I am surprised that a company publicly accused his client of fraud if not quite certain what it says. Thanks @aztony
At this point it is still pretty murky as to what all occurred. The test labs claimed Qihoo submitted modified configuation AVs for testing that are not available to the public. Qihoo's response is that the AVs they submitted were modified configurations, and that they informed the test labs of those changes at the time of submission. Moreover, Qihoo claims the AVs that were submitted for testing, with the configuration(s) they had, were available to the general public in China. Just not to international users. So if Qihoo is correct, somewhere there was terrible breakdown in communication between the lab(s) and Qihoo. And it also points to a serious quality control problem with the labs themselves.

cdnsempre

Level 1
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
the Tencent pc manager 10 is better then 360 total security. The 360 ts have a malwar call safesearch. Be careful. The Tencent are a giant of the world and won 7 companys gave a merit of your software.

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
Out of those few antiviruses, the best I would say is Avira for its detection rate and AV technology.

Actually, although I have never used Qihoo before, AV-C's accusation seems pretty trivial to me. Basically, they are accusing Qihoo of submitting its software with some setting changes, which can easily be done by users who use its software.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
If you want to change solution due to how a company reacted to certain allegations or how a company chose to respond to, then by all means move, but 360 ain't the first and only one on the spotlight. Others been in the spotlight for other issues and are still around...

One thing tho: test results: take it with extreme pinch of salt. This applies to any solution.

I have ran McAfee SaaS on a shared computer for over a year. Result? no infection, and I was not the user...

Yes I had control via its web console, despite I could easly walk a few meters and go hands on with the system directly.

Each solution has its pros and cons. Just because majority uses it, doesnt mean its the best. Same way just because majority puts it down, doesnt mean its the worse (prime examples are Kaspersky/ESET/EAM for 1st part, McAfee/AVG for 2nd part).

Just ask Illumination: ESET on his new system plays up while on older system is fine. He opted for more control on CIS. CAV is by many regarded as subpar. Doesn't mean no one uses.

I still run McAfee SaaS (secure as a service) on a mid range laptop. What does it contain? firewall, AV and its zero day protection. Anything else? no.

People focus on signatures and say that product A has to be good because of its detection rate. Yep, all well until the infection that doesn't get detected messes up your system and you didn't see it coming. People that solely focus on prevention have a bit more security but that's still subject.

Find a good balance and you are good to go.

One of my friends had an AV solution that expired and then he forgot to renew. After 3 months he asked me to clean it. was a bit infected. removed everything, enabled Windows Defender and 7 months later, no infection still.

For the users who dont trust solution A and B and C, fair enough but despite being your opinion, take it for a spin before jumping to the conclusion that is bad etc, as this will eventually affect the new users and users who seek us for assistance and instead will be mislead.

So in the end the following solutions are viable, depending on your system resources and hardware. Feel free to actually try for a bit before tagging along with general consensus:

Free:
Windows Defender (Windows 8 and above)
AVG
AVAST
Forticlient
Lavasoft Free Antivirus +
COMODO
Zonealarm Free Antivirus + Firewall 2015 (google this to get the direct link)
Avira Free

Paid:
Aside from Avast/Lavasoft/Zonealarm/AVG/Avira paid versions):
F-Secure
ESET AV/ESET Smart Security
Kaspersky AV/IS
Symantec Norton Security/With backup
Emsisoft Anti-Malware/Internet Security
McAfee Antivirus/Internet Security
Webroot

Note: I omitted the Endpoint protections for one reason: if you have solely 1 system, its a bit pointless running an Endpoint protection solution but if you really wanna take it for a spin: Symantec/Kaspersky/ESET/McAfee Endpoint Solutions are decent and viable for its price.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
How about a basic Antivirus such as Windows Defender or Microsoft Security Essentials?
There is nothing you see in other free Antivirus, such as bundled software offerings, upsell Ads or Software. Doesn't hijack your web browser or Install toolbars toolbars.

Lower detection rates, smarter browsing habits, correctly configured Comodo Firewall with Sandbox.

If you are afraid of third party bundled software, why not try Unchecky. It uses minimal resources, active when required, automatic updates and completely free.

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
First of all!
i suggest a good firewall+semi good av.
Comodo and Out post is the best choice i think.
semi good av: crystall , windows defender , Avira
*run suspect files by sandboxie
**do't trust chinese software
OR
use paid av: KASPERSKY , ESET, EMSISOFT.

Y

yigido

Thread author
Avira : I really like it, but it bothers me greatly that continually want to activate the Windows firewall. If you do not, you seem to have a problem. If one day it would show me a problem, it would not matter to me, because always see the icon on alert.
Go to control panel and change the installer. Please un-check the "Windows Firewall" option while installing.
This warning icon will disappear.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.