Guide | How To Choosing between Antivirus, Internet Security, and Total Security Products

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
Nowadays, every popular antivirus vendor has three to four tiers of antivirus software. Usually called Antivirus (and sometimes Antivirus Pro too), Internet Security, and Total Security, these tiers allow more decision making on how many features somebody wants, many regular internet users ask the question, "Which tier of security should I choose?"

First of all, let's review what the usual tiers of security products are:

(Please see exceptions on the bottom of the lists)
  • Free Antivirus (Sometimes)
Free Antivirus differs from other antivirus products because they are usually free. This usually depends heavily on the vendor, but free antiviruses usually contain basic modules:

• Real-Time Protection
  • Manual Scans
  • Malicious Email Protection
  • Web Protection
Some vendors like Comodo are generous enough to throw a free firewall into the offering, but mostly that doesn't happen too often. Most free antiviruses are enough to cater to anybody's security need, and in the case of Avast and Avira, are usually more popular than their paid counterparts.

• Antivirus Pro/Plus
Sometimes called Antivirus Pro, Pro Antivirus, Antivirus Plus, or just Antivirus, this tier of antivirus is usually the lowest cost of the three paid tiers (not counting free antivirus). Usually it contains the free antivirus features with:

• Sandbox (If a product includes one)
  • Browser Cleanup
  • Password Protection
If you plan to buy a pro version of a free antivirus, I would ask you to reconsider as frankly this is not worth it (I'm talking about Avast, AVG, Avira, Comodo, etc.)

Fun Fact: McAfee actually includes a firewall in its baseline security solution.

• Internet Security
By far, this is the second-most popular solution after free antivirus. Internet Security solutions typically boast a suite of features, including the basic antivirus module with a firewall, along with some nice little security features, like:

• Ad-Block
  • Anti-Theft
  • Banking Protection
  • Anti-spam (not to be confused with email protection).
The biggest selling feature in most internet security solutions is the firewall, which usually is advertised as being stronger than windows firewall (and sometimes it is the case).

*Please Note that Qihoo 360 does not follow these as its Internet Security (or Total Security Essentials now) by definition is different. Please see the exceptions at the bottom*

• Total Security/Total Protection
Like spice on a plate of food, Total Security is Internet Security with some extra perks, namely:

• Cloud Backup (usually 10 to 50 GB)
  • File Safe/File Guard
  • Parental Control
  • Optimization/Performance
Total Security is the most expensive of the options and usually most heavily marketed by the antivirus vendor as "Best Choice" or "Top Rated".

*Again, Qihoo 360 Total Security does not follow this rule*

• Exceptions
Like always, there are exceptions. Sometimes they are minor, sometimes they are major. Here are some:

• Norton, unlike others markets its products as Standard, Deluxe, and Premium. Standard is Internet Security, Deluxe is just Standard with 5 PCs instead of 1, and Premium is Total Security.
  • ESET, Unlike others, is marketed as NOD32 AV and Smart Security. NOD32 is the Antivirus Plus, and Smart Security is Internet Security.
  • Qihoo 360 products are named as 360 Total Security Essential and 360 Total Security. 360 Total Security Essential is Free Antivirus, with Sandbox. 360 Total Security is Free Antivirus, with Sandbox, Optimization, and other applets like Wi-Fi Safety. All 360 products are free for home use.

• Which One To Choose?
It's your choice totally. After exploring all the options, it's still up to you whether you think you need a better firewall or anti-theft for an extra 20 bucks. However, I would like to give my two cents that Pro Antiviruses that have a free counterpart are not worth it! Frankly, I would not pay 30 extra bucks just for a sandbox that I can get for free from Sandboxie.com! Usually Internet Security and Free Antivirus are the most frequently chosen because of their features (free protection and firewall, respectively). However, it's still your computer and I can't download things onto your computer!
Remember that even Windows Defender (or MSE for those diehard Win 7 and Vista fans) might work for you, so you can rule out the choosing factor completely. Remember this- not even the best protection will stop somebody who make tons of mistakes on the internet. Sharpen up your skills by asking questions, searching on google, or reading other how-tos on MT.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
I used to love security suite packaged together. But as time goes by I learned that the more comprehensive u got, the more complication you computer will have and hence the the downgrade performance of your PC. I learned from the hard way last time since Windows XP.

Now, I wish I could have a program that I can manipulate and control.

H

hjlbx

If you at home, behind a NAT router, you do not need firewall.

If you have laptop and use unsecure wireless network (e.g. internet café\public wifi) then you need firewall

If you are security soft geek, then you need everything from all security soft vendors

If you are Neo, then you need nothing except Trinity... :D

D

Deleted member 178

If you at home, behind a NAT router, you do not need firewall.

and outbound connections...? (most routers filter only inbound ones)

If you are security soft geek, then you need everything from all security soft vendors

i can't deny this fact

If you are Neo, then you need nothing except Trinity... :D

no need Trinity, i prefer the girl in red dress, not saying Neo is gay , he penetrated Agent Smith in first episode :p

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Usually practical editions to have are AV and IS since those prices are more tolerable than Ultimate/Total that even a novice user will not use their cleaning/boosters.

Overall its a user choice that should supplement base on risk level.

sonylxn

Level 4
Verified
Jan 26, 2015
i always choose the simplest one, never of those total complete platinum etc etc mumbo jumbo

L

LabZero

I choose AV free/pro regarding basic safety: signature and/or behavioral protection.
For everything else, I want to choose other apps depending on specialization (sandbox, anti-exploit, anti-exe, web filter, etc).
Honestly I don't trust the universal features of products presented as the solution to all ills.
I disagree with the optimization modules of the Total Security: absolutely unnecessary and do not justify the higher price of the product.

L

LabZero

If you at home, behind a NAT router, you do not need firewall
When the firewall makes sense?
Remembering the fact that we are talking about router and not modem: the firewall makes sense when:
-I have a public address pool for which the router is not on NAT and hosts are directly accessible from the public network.
- It is on DMZ
But mostly because?
Packages are forwarded within LAN only if there is a match on the NAT table. Anything goes unless you require from an internal host.

Reactions: frogboy

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.