Chrome 68 Has a New Material Design Mode But It's Hidden

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Google has been working on a Material Design refresh for Chrome across desktop and mobile in recent months, and elements of the redesign are starting to make their way to the stable version of the browser. Chrome 68, released earlier this week, now includes parts of the Material Design refresh hidden behind settings flags in both the iOS and desktop versions. Chrome 68 for Android does not yet include the Material Design refresh changes.

While the desktop version includes a more rounded and whiter appearance, the mobile version of Chrome has a far more drastic redesign on iOS. Google is moving the navigation controls to the bottom of the screen, and overhauling the new tab page to be more useful. The navigation changes mean forward and backward buttons are now at the bottom, alongside access to tabs, settings, and a new search button. The new search button is a quick way to get to the address bar for now, which is ideal if you’re using a phone with an extra-tall display.

Full Story How to enable Chrome’s new Material Design refresh on desktop and iOS

rsonic

Level 2
Verified
Jul 25, 2018
I swapped, and then went back. The round tabs are ugly, and the new tab at the left was annoying. Hope they change it, instead of me becoming one of those software luddites.

Reactions: vtqhtr413
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I like the new touchable one on my Chromebooks. Moving the new tab button to the left is ridiculously bad.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
The default chrome theme with this design is way too bright. Using morpheus dark theme, i kinda find it prettier than default
morpheusssss.png

Last edited:

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Looks a bit like a mixture of Yandex and Opera tabs. Not bad, but I don't like the roundings on the tabs.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Looks a bit like a mixture of Yandex and Opera tabs. Not bad, but I don't like the roundings on the tabs.
Rounded corners are a design shift as seen in iOS and Android, mobile apps, some newer smartphones. On the other hand, Windows and Edge have straight cut lines, which has a business-like appeal.

1533309684751.png

Pick your poison.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Actually touchable resfesh seems to be more pleasant than resfesh for me, i can finally see something
chrome123.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.