Privacy News Chrome 69 Keeps Google's Cookies After You Clear Browser Data (Update: Reverts changes)

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
It has been discovered that when you try to clear all cookies in the Chrome browser, every cookie will be deleted except for authentication cookies created by Google. This means that after clearing cookies, you will be logged out of every site that you are currently logged into, except for Google.

Cookies are small data files stored on a users computer that are used by sites to store information that persist even when you close the browser and reopen it at a later time. As cookies can also be used to track you on the web or your activity on a site, they can be considered a privacy risk. Therefore it is not uncommon for users to routinely clear all cookies on their machines and expect those cookies to be removed.

This issue of Google's cookies not being deleted was first discovered when Christoph Tavan when into Chrome 69's "Clear browsing data" tol and noticed that the option to clear "Cookies and other site data" has a description that states "Signs you out of most sites. You won't be signed out of your Google Account."
Persistent authentication in Google since the release of Chrome 69 has been a cause of concern for users. While Google has been quick to respond and explain why these issues are occurring, they need to start giving control back to their users.

If a users deletes ALL of their cookies in Chrome, it should be expected and honored that the cookies belonging to Google will be removed as well.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I moved over to Opera some weeks ago after the software situation, no problems whatsoever, as fast as Chrome IMHO & hasn't crashed yet on 3 PC's. Maybe Chrome is more secure I don't know but I'm sticking with Opera, I really dislike Google.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
I've stayed away for the fact I've never trusted Chrome fully, despite it being the most secure browser. Don't know how the Google's cookies will effect Chromium versions of other browsers.

I'm using Opera & Comodo IceDrago n currently. If any clarification on the above can be typed, I may nor may not use Vivaldi on the new Rugged laptop.

~LDogg

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
source: Chrome 70 Lets you Control Automatic Login and Deletes Google Cookies

It has been a really bad week for Google and Chrome 69. First there was a large outcry about being forced to login to Chrome when you login to Google.com or one of their services. Then news came out that when you deleted all of the cookies in Chrome, the browser did not properly remove Google's own authentication cookies.

Let's just say Chrome users are not happy. Google, though, appears to be listening and has decided to backtrack on some of these changes in the upcoming Chrome 70, which is slated to be released in the middle of October.

In a blog entry posted today, Chrome product manager Zake Koch explains that even though they introduced these changes with good intentions, based on user feedback they have decided to roll them back and give users more control over how their browser behaves.

Viking

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
I rarely used Chrome, I have always been a Firefox user.

Reactions: CyberTech

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I've got a solution for this problem. STOP USING FRIGGING CHROME. It's garbage and it's just feeding into hungry Google's mouth with all your browsing data. Not only there is nothing good about Chrome, Google is just straight up evil.
When I go to Outlook.com on Microsoft Edge, it automatically logs in. Should I stop using this Edge browser too?

Is everything garbage in your opinion; which web browser do you endorse?

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
When I go to Outlook.com on Microsoft Edge, it automatically logs in. Should I stop using this Edge browser too?

Is everything garbage in your opinion; which web browser do you endorse?
Maybe as well. I don't use either. Not based on data collection though as a decision.

~LDogg

Reactions: vtqhtr413

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
And they said they don't collect our browsing history... LMAO
I'm pretty sure they can get 99% of our browsing history indirectly from tracking cookies, what we type into the omnibar through predictive search which is routing our queries to Google.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I really dont mind what data they are collecting, but only asking for '' never remember history'' & ''clear all on exit'' options wich modern browser should already have

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.