Chrome blocks access to torrent sites

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sinu

Thread author
Chrome users who download torrents may be thinking about switching to a different browser. Google’s web browser is now blocking access to a number of big name torrent sites. This is not a case of Google taking the moral high ground about the rights and wrongs of torrenting, but part of the search giant’s security program to protect users from “harmful programs”.

Starting yesterday, downloaders found that access was blocked to ExtraTorrent and KickassTorrents, although the block was later lifted. The block remains in place for other torrent sites including kat.cr. Upon attempting to visit an affected site, would-be torrenters are greeted by a red, full-screen security warning that advises of the potential danger of the site in question.

As reported by TorrentFreak, Chrome users started to discover that their favorite sites were no longer accessible. ExtraTorrent found that Google had incorrectly labelled something as malware, and after contacting the company, the block was lifted. But for kar.cr visitors and users of some other torrent sites, access is not guaranteed. Try to visit a site that Google has taken objection to and the following warning appears:

The site ahead contains harmful programs

Attackers on kat.cr might attempt to trick you into installing programs that harm your browsing experience (for example, by changing your homepage or showing extra ads on sites you visit).

While it is possible to click through and ignore the warning, the option to do so is slightly obfuscated. A small and easily-missed Details link needs to be clicked followed by another link that indicates your willingness to take the risk and continue to your intended destination. Another option is to disable Chrome’s built-in malware protection.

Google has not said that it is particularly targeting torrent sites at the moment, and it seems that the blocks are just part of an on-going security program. It does, however, seem that the blocks are contagious. TorrentFreak reports that some Firefox users are now complaining of similar problems getting to certain torrent sites.

Have you been prevented from accessing any of your favorite sites?

NekoJonez

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jun 3, 2015
I have been blocked to my own forum by my own ISP because somebody hacked my server to put some adware on it. :/

Reactions: Rolo

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Does not seem to be the case for me, I still can access KAT just fine as of now. Although I am using a VPN I think Chrome should be able to read the data when it displays it in the browser so it should not be affected.

Plus even though chrome blocks it as a malicious site, it can be easily bypassed by clicking the visit infected site button down below. This is just a small counter measure and is not really a full block like how ISPs would block sites.

NekoJonez

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jun 3, 2015
I just tried it and, yeah. It happens. Welp, time to use another browser then :p

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
With adblocker you should not easily spread any pop ups or annoying advertisement in torrent sites, all you have to do is analyze those files whic are known safe to download.

Leechers and seeders in huge number are determine that the file is legitimate.

Reactions: Kent and frogboy

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Throw that baby out with the bathwater!

heh

It'll let you ignore the warning, that's good; Norton ConnectSafe won't. I don't suppose exceptions could be created (I never tried)..?

Torrent sites (or any big download sites) will be tricky since they inevitably have a mix of safe and malicious content.

Why not use an actual torrent client?

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Throw that baby out with the bathwater!

heh

It'll let you ignore the warning, that's good; Norton ConnectSafe won't. I don't suppose exceptions could be created (I never tried)..?

Torrent sites (or any big download sites) will be tricky since they inevitably have a mix of safe and malicious content.

Why not use an actual torrent client?
What baby?

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Again as of now my copy of chrome doesn't block the KAT site, it might just be location based? I'm located in the SEA region, I have checked that my chrome is the latest version and stuff. Not sure what is triggering it but for me I can access if just fine :p

Reactions: frogboy

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I just tried it and, yeah. It happens. Welp, time to use another browser then :p

If your $500,000 car is stolen, you will buy a new one? I think not. Don't be so over-dramatic.

If it's BLOCKED by your ISP, by the Law Enforcement, then it's not blocked by Chrome. However, the title is misleading because it's not in fact blocked, but more a less informing the users that the site may contain harmful code or software.

Read more about Phishing and Malware Alerts - https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/99020

Here in the UK, if you visit the site (redirect):

upload_2015-7-12_14-44-46.png

3. No inappropriate content.
  • + No warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content is allowed.
  • + Encouraging the use of illegally obtained content is not allowed.
http://malwaretips.com/pages/rules/

Reactions: Kent and Rolo

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Wow...so your Hollywood can buy your government too!

See, Metallica had it all figured out:

- Send the drummer to whine to Congress about Napster
- Napster gets "shut down"--by "shut down" we mean it gets sold for $5M
- Necessity is the mother of invention: enter P2P where there is no single target to shut down (besides, well, the whole Internet); piracy increases due to publicity and the absurdity of multi-millionaires complaining they're being robbed (not my view, it's just what happened)
- Metallica solved the piracy problem by making albums that nobody would even pirate
- Piracy increases yet again to "prevent from getting ripped off" for buying a piece of garbage (again, not my view, just what happened)

What baby?
It's a figure of speech where one is throwing out everything, the good with the bad.

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
Torrentz.in was blocked by Chrome few days ago. But now I am able to access it. Meanwhile I made Firefox as my default browser. Alweays liked firefox but because of Chrome's super fast startup speed made that as default earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.