Advice Request Chrome extension redundancy... Netcraft, Emsisoft, Decentraleyes, BDAT, F-Secure, Privacy Badger?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Bill K

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jul 25, 2018
Every time I read about another effective browser extension related to security or tracking I find myself wanting to add it to Chrome. I now have this long list of such extensions and am sure there are some redundancies which should be eliminated. I'd appreciate any input on which combination of the following extensions would be recommended, and currently run F-Secure SAFE as my AV. I don't knowingly visit any questionable sites but prefer to exercise good judgement and caution which such software can help to provide. TIA!
Netcraft, Emsisoft Browser Security, Decentraleyes, BitDefender Anti-Tracker, F-Secure Browsing Protection, Privacy Badger.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Netcraft, Emsisoft Browser Security, Decentraleyes (maybe), BitDefender Anti-Tracker, F-Secure Browsing Protection, Privacy Badger.

Decentraleyes and Privacy Badger are good privacy oriented extensions, but they arent a must, you could just use uBlock Origin in medium mode and be done with it.

Threadripper

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
Do you really need Netcraft, F-Secure Browsing Protection and Emsisoft Browser Security? I mean, Netcraft focuses on phishing, do you really think phishing is in your threat model? If you have a local AV that will be scanning websites, your browser has Google Safe Browsing, you may use a secure DNS (these three are ALL you need) and you have Netcraft and Emsisoft too. Complete redundancy.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Netcraft and Emsisoft can go because you've already got Google handling malicious sites in-browser and F-Secure handling them system-wide.

The rest depends on how privacy concious you are. Anti-track, Privacy Badger and Decentraleyes all fill separate roles but they're not equally important. Anti-Track is the main draw so Privacy Badger and/or Decentraleyes can be eliminated if you wish to cut back even further.

Last edited:

Bill K

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jul 25, 2018
This site is the best, thanks for your very helpful advice! Looks like I'll just stick with F-Secure and maybe one anti-tracker. (y)
Of course I'm still interested in any further related suggestions...

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.