Troubleshoot Chrome Omnibox redirects to Yahoo search instead of Google

Old Man Morty

Thread author
Dec 3, 2014
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
21/3/2014 Chrome Omnibox redirects to Yahoo search instead of Google
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Remove malware via spybot, adwcleaner, hitman pro, malwarebytes
It's just as the title says. Every time I attempt to search using the omnibox, it redirects me to Yahoo regardless of what my default Chrome search is. I tried fixing it using Malwarebytes, Hitman Pro, AdwCleaner. I uninstalled Spybot after reading a thread on the forums here that it isn't great. Removed Pando Media Booster (upon recommendation of TwinHeadedEagle). I can't make any progress after this. Please help this problem is really screwing up my computer sessions.

I

illumination

It's just as the title says. Every time I attempt to search using the omnibox, it redirects me to Yahoo regardless of what my default Chrome search is. I tried fixing it using Malwarebytes, Hitman Pro, AdwCleaner. I uninstalled Spybot after reading a thread on the forums here that it isn't great. Removed Pando Media Booster (upon recommendation of TwinHeadedEagle). I can't make any progress after this. Please help this problem is really screwing up my computer sessions.
Have you tried clicking the tool icon on the right side of your browser, going down to settings, opening it, then scroll down to manage search engine, open it and see what is set as your default.

Upvote 0

Old Man Morty

Thread author
Dec 3, 2014
Have you tried clicking the tool icon on the right side of your browser, going down to settings, opening it, then scroll down to manage search engine, open it and see what is set as your default.

Yes I've tried multiple different default searches. I removed all of them except Google but it still redirects me to yahoo.

Upvote 0
I

illumination

Have you tried resetting the browser settings?

Reset your browser settings
  1. In the top-right corner of the browser window, click the Chrome menu
    4003BF51063E6DC3E65713AE5B50EE797EE6
  2. Select Settings.
  3. At the bottom, click Show advanced settings.
  4. Under the section "Reset settings,” click Reset settings.
  5. In the dialog that appears, click Reset.

Upvote 0
I

illumination

I'm sorry I forgot to mention this. When I reset my browser the Google Sync retrieves whatever data is causing me to have my search forwarded to Yahoo.
We can try to reset Sync, it will clear all saved data so be sure this is what you choose before proceeding.

Go to the Google Dashboard, scroll to the Chrome sync section and click the link to "Stop sync and delete data from Google." You'll then be prompted to confirm the deletion.

Upvote 0
I

illumination

You have reset Chrome, managed your search engines, only thing left i can think of, is to look in your Chrome extensions for something changing the default search engine, and or you still have something on the system associated. If none of those are the case, then deleting the stored sync content and starting over may be the only left option.

I would double check your extensions in Chrome, and also take another look through your add/remove programs of the operating system.

Upvote 0

Old Man Morty

Thread author
Dec 3, 2014
It can't be the extensions, and not signing in after uninstall and reinstall chrome doesn't work either, so I guess there is something on ym system that keeps screwing with my browser.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.