Troubleshoot Chrome Virus Iphone and on Win 7 - fake prizes

barrti

Thread author
Apr 30, 2018
Hi
I have Chrome on my Iphone. Just lately I have been getting some sort of fake prize virus.
It happens when I use Chrome to search for a site. It does not happen every time.
What happens is that I get this unrelated webpage popup that I cannot close. I can't go to history to get rid of it.
I tried deleting the app and reinstalling it. The next time I went to that site, I got the same problem.

The message that pops up varies but it says something like Dear Optus user (Optus is my service provider), you have been selected .........blah blah......and then theres a prize.

I got the same thing when I used my PC to look at the same site but my Malwarebytes popped up and saved the day.

Does anyone know whats going on and how I can remove it from my iphone.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Neither your iPhone or Chrome browser are compromised, it's the website with rogue/bad advertising.

If the website you visit has Ads, then it will load the Fake pop-up webpage upon visiting or tapping anywhere on the site.

Try using another Browser for iOS, with some Ad-Blocking features:
Or enable a Content Blockers for Safari on iOS, can be found on the App Store.

Learn more about browser settings:
Clear the history and cookies from Safari on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
Delete your Chrome browsing history - Android - Google Chrome Help

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.