Not open for further replies.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Today, Google announced some tweaks coming to Chrome that are aimed at blocking surprise website redirects and irritating pop-ups. In a blog post, Google said that around one out of every five feedback reports regarding Chrome mentions users being directed toward unwanted content and so it's working to address those issues in upcoming Chrome releases.

In Chrome 64, Google will automatically prevent webpages from unexpectedly navigating to a new page, which Google says is often due to third-party content embedded in the original page and often not intended by the page's author. Chrome will now block those redirect attempts and will show that a redirect was attempted and prevented in an infobar, an example of which you can see in the image below.

Screenshot_20171102-063208.png

Another problem that Chrome users often complain about is when clicking a new link not only opens a new tab but also causes the original page to navigate to a different, unintended webpage. Google says this is a circumvention of Chrome's pop-up blocker and with Chrome 65, those unwanted redirections in the main tab will be blocked and an alert notifying users of such will show up in an infobar.

Finally, Google is also tackling more aggressive redirects, such as play buttons that actually send users to a new page and transparent overlays on websites that result in lots of pop-ups or new tabs when a user clicks anywhere on the page. Chrome's pop-up blocker will start to prevent those things from happening in early January.

0+%281%29.gif

Google is also working on a few other features that will make web browsing less irritating. For example, with Chrome 64, Google's browser will no longer autoplay videos that have sound. And future Chrome versions will also block ads that are overly annoying or intrusive. Chrome 64 is currently in pre-beta testing and is expected out early next year.

Chrome will soon prevent irritating, unwanted website redirects

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Great! Another feature to prevent clickjacking. It is also a feature (anti-clickjacking) which GuardedID Anti-Keylogger has it

For current Chrome version you can either set "Protect you and your devices from dangerous sites" or get extensions to prevent redirects in Chrome webstore

To prevent redirects in FF you need to enable "Block dangerous and deceptive content" under "Privacy and Security"

For FF users you can use NoScript's ClearClick to block clickjacking

:)

Last edited:

Huchim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Oct 17, 2015
I'm trying opera and I'm wondering if these features will arrive also on opera or are exclusive for chrome?

Reactions: Garzaman

Huchim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Oct 17, 2015
yeah, but for now I don't have any extensions on opera, I'm using all features by design and I like it, even their in-buit adblocker, don't know if this features come in flags and also will come on opera

Reactions: Garzaman

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
yeah, but for now I don't have any extensions on opera, I'm using all features by design and I like it, even their in-buit adblocker, don't know if this features come in flags and also will come on opera
Don't you have this "Protect you and your devices from dangerous sites" in the Settings ==> Advanced page?

Last edited:

Huchim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Oct 17, 2015
Yes, it's enabled but I redirects, pop-ups described in this post are not blocked by that feature that you say. I would like to test these new features from chrome

Reactions: Prorootect

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Page NOT redirected ("Success! The navigation was blocked"):

"Third-Party redirection test.
The browser should block the redirections and prompt to allow bypassing the intervention

That requires the redirection to be targeting a third party origin. Clone this repository and host it somewhere for the demo to work

TODO: Make it with a python/node script or android app that would spawn servers on different ports

Success! The navigation was blocked _______ Success! The navigation was blocked "

I posted my results on another MT topic here: Block Iframes Redirections: Block Iframes Redirections

PS.
HarborFront - I'm able to stop (and remove) your .gif image from the first post - only with "Hide GIFS I'am Reading" Chrome extension...:)

Last edited:
Reactions: HarborFront

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Page NOT redirected ("Success! The navigation was blocked"):

"Third-Party redirection test.
The browser should block the redirections and prompt to allow bypassing the intervention

That requires the redirection to be targeting a third party origin. Clone this repository and host it somewhere for the demo to work

TODO: Make it with a python/node script or android app that would spawn servers on different ports

Success! The navigation was blocked _______ Success! The navigation was blocked "

I posted my results on another MT topic here: Block Iframes Redirections: Block Iframes Redirections

PS.
HarborFront - I'm able to stop (and remove) your .gif image from the first post - only with "Hide GIFS I'am Reading" Chrome extension...:)
Yes, you can use those gif blocking extensions in Chrome but they'll reduce your surfing experience

Last edited:
Reactions: Prorootect

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Yes, you can use those gif blocking extensions in Chrome but they'll reduce your surfing experience

Yes, but if you want to respect the peace of mind of your PC fan and CPU - use this "Hide GIFS I'am Reading" Chrome extension - if necessary, when the page has moving gifs...1 click, no gifs. Another click on its icon - the gifs return...
Very easy, then

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.