Chromebook Threatens Windows

Thread author
$600 Chromebooks are a dangerous development for Microsoft

$600 Chromebooks are a dangerous development for Microsoft

(PS...the caveats... just don't use Android apps and other unknown stuff from the Chrome Store... and it don't pay to pay a ton of money for your Chromebook [like $1,000+] because you are getting, maybe, 5 years of ongoing support - and that is only if you purchased the model very near its release date.)

L

Local Host

Thread author
A good read.
Indeed the author is a little BIAS and going overboard though.
Schools, Enterprises? Considering the amount of Software they use and require that will never happen. The Office alternative on ChromeOS (Web) is a joke at best, Microsoft own Web Office Tools are a joke.
Is also being a little overrated, after all the ChromeOS has 1% of the market at best. ChromeOS may be good for casual users, but when it comes to work and usability is inferior to Linux Distros.
They used to do similar articles year after year about how Linux was going to overthrown Windows, look how far they got.

Last edited:

Thread author
If i have to buy a new machine, it will be a Chromebook, will surfing on chrome, watching youtube, etc... (basically what i do on Windows LOL)

Basically.

I bought my Acer Chromebook for Work 14 on eBay for $350. And it is so much more awesome than any Windows PC for doing the basic stuff. All that power on my Windows PCs is just wasted because all I do with Windows is disable and remove all the needless and unwanted garbage that Microsoft packs into Windows 10.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Thread author
Indeed the author is a little BIAS and going overboard though.
Schools, Enterprises? Considering the amount of Software they use and require that will never happen. The Office alternative on ChromeOS (Web) is a joke at best, Microsoft own Web Office Tools are a joke.
Is also being a little overrated, after all the ChromeOS has 1% of the market at best.

ARM's are very very well suited to Chromebook. Intel is so cancerous right now you couldn't give me one. ARM's are generally much more stable and secure. The newest generation are smoking fast.

We're largely a Chromebook house now, minus just a few machines left with Windows.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Maybe you can't trust Google for Privacy but you surely can for Security, at least they don't dismiss a vulnerability report as "this is not a vulnerability " LOL

and unlike MS, they pay a small fortune for bug bounties.

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Thread author
I told my father (65) that I will buy him a new laptop, old Asus X54C is toast. I started discussion how Chromebook +/-300€ might be a good deal for him.. he asked if he will be able to continue to play World of Warcraft on it.. I said no.. he went to smoke..

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
they pay a small fortune for bug bounties

Kinda-Sorta. Although I personally know nothing about Chrome, a certain feline I know did submit a bug that was initially awarded 500USD; however many hoops had to be jumped through and reports had to be filled out before 5000USD was allotted. It amazed me that a company with a market cap of over 850 BILLION USD tried to screw a Poor Emaciated Kitty out of $4500 (should actually have received 7500, the cheap bastards).

But the best way to get from 2000-4000 USD out of Google (actually Alphabet) would be to find an extension that steals data. Google should be vetting these things themselves, but I guess it's cheaper in the long run to have peasants do it and toss them a few crumbs...

Thread author
Kinda-Sorta. Although I personally know nothing about Chrome, a certain feline I know did submit a bug that was initially awarded 500USD; however many hoops had to be jumped through and reports had to be filled out before 5000USD was allotted. It amazed me that a company with a market cap of over 850 BILLION USD tried to screw a Poor Emaciated Kitty out of $4500 (should actually have received 7500, the cheap bastards).

But the best way to get from 2000-4000 USD out of Google (actually Alphabet) would be to find an extension that steals data. Google should be vetting these things themselves, but I guess it's cheaper in the long run to have peasants do it and toss them a few crumbs...

They'll pay out hard for RCE, but then again why bother when you can sell it to agencies for double or triple. The only problem is the agents don't leave you alone. "Gimme, gimme, we want it !" Good grief. Buzz off, jokerz. Fly fly fly Agent Starling...

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Thread author
I'm trying to ungoogled myself so no chromebook for me :ROFLMAO:

Easy fix. Uncheck 'Help Google' when you powerwash your CB. Then there are other settings you uncheck once it's ready for use I went over in my other thread. Disable Sync, etc. Then CB's are actually really quiet. Further, create sock puppet Google Accounts, state your age as under 13 when you create the account and they'll leave you alone, they will enable additional privacy protections on the backend (thanks to COPPA), and not ask for a phone number to tie into your Google account. Then you become even more stealthy.

So what I do is go here and create a fake identity;
Get a whole new identity at the Fake Name Generator

Then go here and generate a random email address using letters/numbers only;
Strong Random Password Generator

For example:
Aaron J. Davis
3x7vq8d4@gmail.com

Then use that to setup the Chromebook Account and you are good to go. I recommend an every 180 day powerwash just for safety/security, then re-generate everything as above after the 180 day powerwash. It's very simple and I have trained my wife and kids to do this out of habit as well. Our habits have paid off. Neither my name, or anyone in the household shows up on any Google searches and my home has been redacted from Google Maps. I'm sure this will pay off handsomely in the future.

Trust nobody.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
(PS...the caveats... just don't use Android apps and other unknown stuff from the Chrome Store... and it don't pay to pay a ton of money for your Chromebook [like $1,000+] because you are getting, maybe, 5 years of ongoing support - and that is only if you purchased the model very near its release date.)
To be honest, Google cannot take on Apple (iPad Pro) without including Android apps to Chrome OS. If your Chromebook supports Google Play Store, then browse cautiously.

For browsers, facebook users and email reader, get the cheap Chromebooks.

But if you plan to spend crazy amounts on a Chromebook. Stop! Get an iPad Pro with Pencil instead. There are a lot of powerful apps for iOS and Android for creators.

Waiting to see if there's a Pixelbook 2.. hopefully no Notch on Chrome OS. LOL

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Thread author
I would never purchase Apple products as they don't offer the deep flexibility, configuration and security profiles I want. For example I can run a completely virtualized environment on Android (VMI) providing complete isolation between my work and the device. I can replace insecure default applications at the system level with things like Firefox Focus/KLAR and Signal Instant Messenger. I can use security apps that provide some really unique capability to help secure devices.

You are still pretty safe using Linux and Android Apps on Chromebook's because of the virtualization involved with them. (Crostini, etc)

Thread author
Easy fix. Uncheck 'Help Google' when you powerwash your CB. Then there are other settings you uncheck once it's ready for use I went over in my other thread. Disable Sync, etc. Then CB's are actually really quiet. Further, create sock puppet Google Accounts, state your age as under 13 when you create the account and they'll leave you alone, they will enable additional privacy protections on the backend (thanks to COPPA), and not ask for a phone number to tie into your Google account. Then you become even more stealthy.

So what I do is go here and create a fake identity;
Get a whole new identity at the Fake Name Generator

Then go here and generate a random email address using letters/numbers only;
Strong Random Password Generator

For example:
Aaron J. Davis
3x7vq8d4@gmail.com

Then use that to setup the Chromebook Account and you are good to go. I recommend an every 180 day powerwash just for safety/security, then re-generate everything as above after the 180 day powerwash. It's very simple and I have trained my wife and kids to do this out of habit as well. Our habits have paid off. Neither my name, or anyone in the household shows up on any Google searches and my home has been redacted from Google Maps. I'm sure this will pay off handsomely in the future.

Trust nobody.

Great advice on so many levels.

To be honest, Google cannot take on Apple (iPad Pro) without including Android apps to Chrome OS. If your Chromebook supports Google Play Store, then browse cautiously.

For browsers, facebook users and email reader, get the cheap Chromebooks.

But if you plan to spend crazy amounts on a Chromebook. Stop! Get an iPad Pro with Pencil instead. There are a lot of powerful apps for iOS and Android for creators.

Waiting to see if there's a Pixelbook 2.. hopefully no Notch on Chrome OS. LOL

From a security perspective Android apps just aren't a good idea. What I meant was "Don't do that" for the security-conscious ascetic among us.

People give short-shrift to Chrome OS and Chromebook, but when you research it, it turns out to be a little adventure in IT experimentation - or a big one - depending upon where one is willing to take it.

I am so cheap that I bought a used Acer Chomebook for Work 14 on eBay - brand new in the box - for $385 instead of the current going rate of $540+. Because they are essentially disposable devices I didn't worry about the warranty. I think spending big bucks on a 12.5 inch Pixelbook makes no sense. Then again... I have come to think that spending $1,000 on a "powerful, high-end" Windows or Mac laptop for most of us is a bad deal also. Those $2,000+ purchases are foolhardy. The $3,500+ ones cuckoo. And the $4,500+ I don't know... I haven't invented the words yet.

I would never purchase Apple products as they don't offer the deep flexibility, configuration and security profiles I want. For example I can run a completely virtualized environment on Android (VMI) providing complete isolation between my work and the device. I can replace insecure default applications at the system level with things like Firefox Focus/KLAR and Signal Instant Messenger. I can use security apps that provide some really unique capability to help secure devices.

You are still pretty safe using Linux and Android Apps on Chromebook's because of the virtualization involved with them. (Crostini, etc)

A not unheard-of argument against Apple products. Even at its base, the Apple platforms are a whole lot less flexible than Windows. However, I think it's kinda funny that most people won't react to an Apple Mac series book in the same was as they do to Chromebooks. As if a quality Chromebook is so much less-than an Apple laptop. Like I always say... two different kinds of grass. Either one can be a neighborhood winner or give you really bad grass-itch.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.