Chromebooks May Soon Dual Boot Between Chrome OS And Windows 10

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Today, a report has revealed that Google wants to bring Microsoft's Windows 10 support to Chromebooks. Reports indicate that the company is working on a new project called “Campfire” that would allow Chromebook owners to dual boot Windows 10 and Chrome OS.

A recent commit for the Campfire project indicates that Windows support is being added to Chromebooks as this commit details the space required to store both Windows 10 and Chrome OS. For Windows, Google wants at least 30GB of storage space and greater than 10GB for Chrome OS. This could eat up a significant portion of storage space on a Chromebook and require a more expensive version that has a 64GB SSD at a minimum.

If this is truly a dual-boot Windows 10 and Chrome OS project, it could be similar to Apple’s Boot Camp on macOS. Interestingly, the company is working on multiple variants for the various Chromebook devices on the market.

This dual-boot project may be coming sooner than expected. According to an earlier report published by XDA-Developers, the Google's Pixelbooks was submitted to Microsoft's WHCK (Windows Hardware Certification Kit) and HLK (Windows Hardware Lab Kit) certifications. This means that the Pixelbook can be able to run Windows 10 without any further hacks.

This could be huge news for users who purchase a Chromebook, but need better support found in an operating system like Windows 10. This move also shows Google's concern regarding Microsoft's advancements in the education space with increased adoption of Surface tablets.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Thanks for the share. This would be a very bad move for Google to make in my personal opinion.
I agree. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I guess another issue for them will be the price of the devices. If they are priced comparably to standard windows laptops it will be interesting to see if they actually sell. Part of the allure of the chrome books is their very affordable pricing.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Not with 32GB or 64GB eMMC storage they won't.

The chances of a Chromebook with 256GB whilst under £1000/$1000 are slim to nil. Most Windows laptops start with 128GB SSD, although I expect a minimum of 256GB. But better specs means more expensive. **Laptops**

Last edited:

I agree. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I guess another issue for them will be the price of the devices. If they are priced comparably to standard windows laptops it will be interesting to see if they actually sell. Part of the allure of the chrome books is their very affordable pricing.

Not really. Compared to what you get on a Windows laptop, Chromebooks are very expensive.

In any case, Google and Microsoft will screw it up. Just like Google's absolutely stupid and terrible idea to allow the install of Android apps on Chromebooks... from a web store that it has little to no control over and therefore places every system at-risk for malicious apps.

The whole point of using Chromebook in the first place is to stay a billion miles away from the garbage that is Windows and Microsoft.

This could be exciting. May have to get myself a Chromebook. :p

~LDogg

Anyone that buys a dual-booter is doing themselves a disservice. The whole point is to not to use Windows. And not use Android apps. Otherwise, it totally defeats the purpose of using Chromebook in the first place.

Google just started their huge anti-Windows TV commercial campaign that shows how problematic Windows is and how much less problematic Chromebooks are and now they are going to pursue a dual-boot Chrome OS\Windows monstrosity. It's an abomination. :X3:

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Google just started their huge anti-Windows TV commercial campaign that shows how problematic Windows is and how much less problematic Chromebooks are and now they are going to pursue a dual-boot Chrome OS\Windows monstrosity. It's an abomination. :X3:

It's a little ironic isn't it, run an AD campaign showing the problems of Windows (and they aren't wrong), but then go, oh btw you can dual boot Windows on our systems. Unless....its a ploy to get people to install Windows, use both, realize there better of with chrome OS and then remove Windows.;)

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Windows, on a CB? Forget it.

I'm confident that my Chromebooks are unhackable and absolutely secure. I take them into the wild without any regard for security. I powerwash them (15 seconds) every so often just because I can. The fact they are so incredibly secure and bulletproof makes them fabulous devices for most people. I use mine without any consideration for security by following my additional security recommendations here;

Tutorial - Configure your Chromebook for Ultimate Security

Microsoft ain't giving Windows away for free. People are going to have to pay for it if they want a dual-booter. And I'm sure the Microsoft hardware certification wasn't cheap. Google and the OEMs are gonna pass those costs onto consumers. Nobody gettin' nothin' for free...

Just more Windows garbage thrown at consumers.

This really annoys me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Not with 32GB or 64GB eMMC storage they won't.

The chances of a Chromebook with 256GB whilst under £1000/$1000 are slim to nil. Most Windows laptops start with 128GB SSD, although I expect a minimum of 256GB. But better specs means more expensive. **Laptops**

$3,500 Google Pixelbook. Why not ? ... people are already paying $2,000 for the top-of-the-line version. :X3:

Not for me at all. No way am i forking out that kind of cash.

It makes more financial sense to pay $1,500+ for a Pixelbook\Chromebook than it does $1,000+ for an Android phone, but foolish people have it the other way around. They are just making the phone OEMs filthy rich. And the phone OEMs will so very gladly keep taking peoples' money and just keep taking advantage of them. :X3:

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Just buy an old model Lenovo Yoga 520 (pentium or i3) with 128 GB SSD and a cheap 1TB HD and put the HD in yourself. It really is only a 30 minute job to put it in (including succes beer drink afterwards), make sure you use a plastic knife to open casing without scratching and the correct cros-hair-size screw driver as youtube DIY-movie explains . New model of Yoga is thinner and requires more expensive slim line HD. With old stock deals you will have a 2-in-1 laptop with SSD+ HDD with a proper OS (Windows 10) for under 600 euro.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.