Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Since I formatted my drive today and reinstalled Chromium Edge, this happens. The Edge icon is displayed correctly in the taskbar. Uppon pressing it to open a site, it spawns a new blank icon in which Edge is displayed.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
tried deleting the taskbar icon and re-assigning it from the original Edge launcher and it didn't work. I also uninstalled it and re-installed and it still didn't work.
Since I formatted my drive today and reinstalled Chromium Edge, this happens. The Edge icon is displayed correctly in the taskbar. Uppon pressing it to open a site, it spawns a new blank icon in which Edge is displayed.

1572987572624.png

I tried deleting the taskbar icon and re-assigning it from the original Edge launcher and it didn't work. I also uninstalled it and re-installed and it still didn't work.

Edge still works but it drives me nervous and I end up cursing BoraMurdar even when he doesn't have anything to do with it.

Any advice?

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Nevermind. Solved by literally hitting my laptop with my head. It threw a scared BSOD and upon reboot it started updating Edge and now works okay. Even the icon is new.

1572988010622.png

Do not waste time finding an explanation since there is none. My computer is cursed.

Blessings and see you all around.

Upvote 0

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Nevermind. Solved by literally hitting my laptop with my head. It threw a scared BSOD and upon reboot it started updating Edge and now works okay. Even the icon is new.

View attachment 229283

Do not waste time finding an explanation since there is none. My computer is cursed.

Blessings and see you all around.

It's a good technique for fixing strange bugs in computers. Another proven to work technique is keeping a sledgehammer close to the computer. When it starts to misbehave you show the sledgehammer to the computer while looking at it with a menacing face. You then restart the computer and the bug should go away if the computer still has a wish to live :)

Upvote 0

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
The phenomenon that the shortcut icon disappears seems to have occurred frequently since the previous version upgrade. I also happened.
It's a good technique for fixing strange bugs in computers. Another proven to work technique is keeping a sledgehammer close to the computer. When it starts to misbehave you show the sledgehammer to the computer while looking at it with a menacing face. You then restart the computer and the bug should go away if the computer still has a wish to live :)
No, don't show the hammer, hug it gently.:):coffee:

Upvote 0

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
This is from the Edge Insider Forum:

[IMG alt="josh_bodner"]https://gxcuf89792.i.lithium.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/106167iED786F8A30266D47/image-dimensions/40x40?v=1.0[/IMG]
josh_bodner
replied to HotCakeX
yesterday

@HotCakeX I updated the original release notes post, but I'll mention down here too that there's a known bug for the Task Bar icons not updating properly, and we're going to try to push out a fix for it over the next day or two. There are a few other places that we're also aware of that don't have the proper icons yet (Task Manager, the all apps list in the Start Menu, the Windows Search results pane), but if you find any other places the icons aren't getting updated, please let us know!
2 Likes

Upvote 0

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
This is from the Edge Insider Forum:

[IMG alt="josh_bodner"]https://gxcuf89792.i.lithium.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/106167iED786F8A30266D47/image-dimensions/40x40?v=1.0[/IMG]
josh_bodner
replied to HotCakeX
yesterday

@HotCakeX I updated the original release notes post, but I'll mention down here too that there's a known bug for the Task Bar icons not updating properly, and we're going to try to push out a fix for it over the next day or two. There are a few other places that we're also aware of that don't have the proper icons yet (Task Manager, the all apps list in the Start Menu, the Windows Search results pane), but if you find any other places the icons aren't getting updated, please let us know!
2 Likes

In other words they hushed the release and didn't properly check the icon was updated everywhere in the code :)

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.