RejZoR

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Comodo_P2P.png

The entire time CIS stub installer was "downloading" CIS, it was also sending data at max speed from my system. That's 9,6 Mbps sending of data. As soon as installer finished, it dropped to 0 for sending. I don't think they disclose this anywhere in installer and it's a bit shitty thing to do for those who use metered connection. It's nothing malicious per se, but certainly annoying and not disclosed to users unless someone like me spotted it by chance...

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Would it be possible to block outgoing connections using Windows Firewall?

It would make you wonder if the same occurs when updating to new versions within the app. Any response from the Devs at Comodo Forums?

Reactions: SHvFl and shmu26

Danielx64

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 24, 2017
View attachment 148184

The entire time CIS stub installer was "downloading" CIS, it was also sending data at max speed from my system. That's 9,6 Mbps sending of data. As soon as installer finished, it dropped to 0 for sending. I don't think they disclose this anywhere in installer and it's a bit shitty thing to do for those who use metered connection. It's nothing malicious per se, but certainly annoying and not disclosed to users unless someone like me spotted it by chance...
The very fact that it this wasn't disclosed make me want to call it malicious.

Reactions: SHvFl
D

Deleted member 178

You have 2 installers, offline and online, obviously when you download the installer and it is around 5-10mb , you can guess it is the online one.

Reactions: SHvFl and frogboy

Danielx64

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 24, 2017
You have 2 installers, offline and online, obviously when you download the installer and it is around 5-10mb , you can guess it is the online one.
Having an online installer is not the problem - the fact that the installer is uploading as well as downloading is the problem.

Reactions: SHvFl and frogboy

RejZoR

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Would it be possible to block outgoing connections using Windows Firewall?

It would make you wonder if the same occurs when updating to new versions within the app. Any response from the Devs at Comodo Forums?

I don't know. I can't ask them because I've been banned. And asking this again would probably make me banned again... it's how they roll when facing criticism...

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Assuming this is true, i didn't check, It's pathetic for them to not be able to host a few MB of a file on their own and rely on users delivering it for them but i honestly don't expect anything better from Comodo. They are shady.

Mod Edit: Do not use foul language. See Forum Rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Danielx64

RejZoR

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Kinda explains why they were pushing the stub installer so much. Like I said, nothing wrong with use of P2P to save costs while providing free software. But disclosing it is necessary. Mostly for users who may pay connection per MB transferred or their monthly plans are limited.

Reactions: Deleted member 178
D

Deleted member 178

Indeed, what is wrong is not the feature, it is the method.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Anyone forward this to Comodo? Eager to see what's been said. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.