ClamTK vs ESET: Who has the better detection ratio? (Linux)

ClamTK vs ESET: Who has the better detection ratio? (Linux)

• ClamTK

• ESET

Results are only viewable after voting.

LukeLovesSecurity

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jul 28, 2017
I am looking to switch to Ubuntu, and one of my concerns is security. I know Ubuntu itself is secure, and I've seen videos on how to use GUFW, AppArmor, and Firejail. However, I want a scanner for peace of mind, and because I'm kinda paranoid.

It has come down to two antivirus options. Since I am a noob, I want a GUI, so Sophos and ClamAV is out of the question. Other Linux antivirus's have disappeared such as Avast and Panda. There is also Comodo, but their signatures for Windows is terrible, and I can only imagine it is worse for Linux. So it is basically down to ClamTK vs ESET.

I don't mind paying for ESET, but is it worth it? Does ESET have a better detection ratio? If not, is there any reason to use ESET over ClamTK?

Thanks in advance.

Cohen

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
Generally, you don't really need an AV on your Linux systems; the main exception to this would be servers such as mailservers.
Linux was has been built with security in mind while Windows was built with ease-of-use in mind. This article explains why you don't really need an AV when using Linux. Note to new Linux users: No antivirus needed

The best way to protect yourself on Linux is to stay up-to-date, don't install packages willy-nilly, don't run commands you don't understand and make sure you're using a good setup on your browser.

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
Is it possible for the virus in windows to infect Linux?
Can malware transform between lin and win?

Reactions: Venustus

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.